Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #1

HELP! Extreme inside rear tire wear!

Guys, I am in need of some advice. The last couple of days, I notice that my driver rear tire is getting low. I filled it up and went home to check for a nail in the tire. Since the rear tires are hard to see, I let it rolle a bit, then check the tire. In doing so, I saw that the insides of my rear tires are wearing to the point that the steel radial belts were sticking out. I touched the inside of the tire and the little steel things were poking into my hand. I checked the other tire, pretty much the same thing!

Its actually a bit scary that I was driving on these tires. Does ANYONE know what might be causing this? The outside of the tire looks fine which is why I never suspected that the inside of the tire is so bad.

Obviously, the tires have to be replaced, but I don't want this to happen again on the next set. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

JBG

Old 09-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #2

Sounds like the camber of the rear tires is way off, and thus they hit the road at an angle which wears the inside quicker. I would have the alignment redone, as that kinda wear is dangerous.

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #3

Well, the camber may not be off. That's just what happens to rear tires on our cars from what I'm seeing. Mine wear 5x faster on the insides than the outsides.

So, I've taken to knocking off the rubber and putting it on the other side of the car on the fronts and backs every 3-4k. Directional tires can't be rotated, but this kind of rotation does make them wear more evenly and last longer.

When you get those new tires, do have them road-forced balanced and get a laser four wheel alignment. I do hope it's just a bad alignment issue, but our cars do wear out tires faster than one could imagine. I read on the PCA Q and A area that tires rarely last more than 15k... however, some forum contributors are saying they get more. I have no idea how they do that though.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #4

Same wear, only not so severe yet, happening to me. After 11,000 miles (I think).

dealer said new tires and alignment, and Greater inside wear normal.
dkriebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkriebel
Same wear, only not so severe yet, happening to me. After 11,000 miles (I think).

dealer said new tires and alignment, and Greater inside wear normal.
Make sure you do new tires, drive 25+ miles, then get the alignment. If they say "you must get the alignment right now to be warranted" go somewhere else. Putting tires on it and immediately aligning it will cause the alignment to be off quite a bit. After being lifted for the new tires, the suspension/ride height compresses up to an inch during the first 25 miles.

Like Randall said, they'll normally wear more on the inside but not as fast if it's aligned properly and the pressure is checked often (weekly).

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote