Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1

Identify this part

My car is lowered and over the weekend while looking under the car, I noticed the left side rubber piece circled below missing. This looks to be an air scoop.

Can someone verify what this part is? and provide a part number for the driver side?

Also, anyone know the part number for the plastic piece in front of the front driver side wheel and plastic piece in front of the rear passenger wheel too. I believe it's a deflector so wind or water won't go directly onto the tire..

Attached Images

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Rubber duckys. They are spoilers to cool the trans, engine compartment and rear brakes:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36372-always-wondered-what-these.html

You can get all those underside spoilers from Pelican or Sunset. They don't cost much and do serve a purpose.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Thank you!!
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #4

With a lot of parts, especially under body panels and pieces, the part number is embossed right on the part. From Topless's description, you may have found your part already, but if not---have you looked on the right one? There may be a 'right' one and a 'left' one, but at Pelican (or wherever) you could use the number from the one you have to get you to the right place in the catalog.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #5

999-507-774-40-OEM Push Button
2 x $1.50

Packed & Shipped
999-507-775-40-OEM PUSH BUTTON
2 x $1.50

Packed & Shipped
OEM-98633136103 Genuine Porsche Part: BRAKE SPOILER EDGE
2 x $10.25
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #6

I still don't know why they call it a "Brake Spoiler Edge" when, from the above descriptions, it is designed to cool the tranny and has nothing to do with the brakes?

Related question: I like Pelican Parts, have ordered a number of items from them. But I often find their diagrams to be essentially useless. An example is the one included when you search their site for the part that Wret referenced in this thread:

Pelican just throws the schematic in there---no identification of the part, no indication as to which one of the parts in the schematic is the part you're looking for. And even if they specified which one it was, the pic is so small and fuzzy (even if zoomed in on) that it would be worthless anyway.

Am I missing something here?

Anyone know where these schematics come from and if they're available online in a larger format where they might actually be useful?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #7

Garage
I ended up calling pelican to get the right ones. There are some old pn#s out there and they have been superseded to the new pn#. I took pics of them with the pn# and it's posted in that 'Always wondered what these are...' thread. I had to press the button snaps together pretty hard to get them to snap together. Maybe try 'Auto Atlanta' for a sharper image???
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #8

Arrow

Air inductors to cool hyper drive when in warp mode.:chicken:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I still don't know why they call it a "Brake Spoiler Edge" when, from the above descriptions, it is designed to cool the tranny and has nothing to do with the rear brakes
Actually Frodo I believe it does. These spoilers create a lot of positive air pressure in that area of the car. The primary exit points are through the rear wheels (brake cooling). We need a visit to a NASA wind tunnel to see it visually though.