986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How to test alarm? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37316-how-test-alarm.html)

jb92563 09-09-2012 10:58 PM

How to test alarm?

This may sound dumb, but how can I test my 2001 Boxster S Alarm system?

I have never heard it going off and wonder if it even works.

What would trigger the alarm? Motion in the car after locking, is there a delay?

particlewave 09-09-2012 11:22 PM

I was wondering this, too. I thought the motion sensors were NOT active when the top was down, so was curious why mine went off last night when #1 douchebag stuck his dirty little hand in my car. Would make more sense if the motion sensors were on when top was down, but I thought that I read the opposite :confused:

Skrapmot 09-09-2012 11:33 PM

Roll the windows down, put the top up, and stick your hand in. If you have a red clip it'll go off even with the top down.
I always roll the windows up even if I have the top down and red clip. Figure it'll make it harder to reach in.

Neekk1 09-10-2012 04:37 AM

Do all boxsters have the motion sensors ? Or just the S model ?

tonycarreon 09-10-2012 05:51 AM

easiest way to test it is to get in. don't put the key in the ignition. use the key to lock the door. wait a few moments - 15 seconds or so, and then pull on the door handle and open the door. the alarm should sound.

jb92563 09-10-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 305461)
I was wondering this, too. I thought the motion sensors were NOT active when the top was down, so was curious why mine went off last night when #1 douchebag stuck his dirty little hand in my car. Would make more sense if the motion sensors were on when top was down, but I thought that I read the opposite :confused:

Supposedly you need to install this red plastic thing that pushes a contact where the top would normally latch into.

Perhaps yours has been modified to make that red thing unnecessary.

tony_fury 09-10-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 305496)
Supposedly you need to install this red plastic thing that pushes a contact where the top would normally latch into.

Perhaps yours has been modified to make that red thing unnecessary.

The red clip is used when the top is down.
The red clip depresses the switch in as if the top was closed, thus the net result is the motion sensors are activated.

The red clip just fools the system that the top is closed, because the sensors will not activate unless the top is closed.
T

To test if your sensors are working, you can close and latch your top, lower the windows and activate the alarm.
After about 15 seconds of arming, put your hand in the window and see if they detect motion.

Deserion 09-10-2012 07:53 AM

I tried out the "red clip" on my Box last night and the alarm functioned properly when I stuck my arm inside past the window.