Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Going Topless

Drive/Half shaft bolts coming lose???

Any advice on keeping the driver's side drive/half shaft bolts from coming lose?

I was driving home last night and the half shaft came detached, banged around, and now I have to replace the suspension side panel which is some bucks. The reason I know that is this is the second time in last few years for this to happen. The last time I put it back together I used loctite on each bolt but apparently that didn't work out to well. Also I just checked bolts about 2 months ago to ensure they were still tight. The last thing I'll add is that it is only happening on the driver's side not passenger? Any experience with this would be much appreciated.

Tom

99ArticSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

Which Loctite did you use? Make sure the male and female threads are oil/grease/never sieze free, and use the Red Loctite. They even sell a cleaner/prep product to ensure a good bond. IIRC these are blind cap screws, not thru-bolted? I supose you could also drill and safety wire them, but that shouldn't be necessary.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Going Topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Which Loctite did you use? Make sure the male and female threads are oil/grease/never sieze free, and use the Red Loctite. They even sell a cleaner/prep product to ensure a good bond. IIRC these are blind cap screws, not thru-bolted? I supose you could also drill and safety wire them, but that shouldn't be necessary.
I will be more thorough with the cleaning this time and ensure I'm using the red.

Thanks,

Tom
99ArticSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

note that, no matter how carefully you assemble your cv, some grease will still squeeze out into the bolt holes. my suggestion is to get everything in place and, just prior to inserting the bolt, give the bolt holes a final clean to make sure the bolt won't carry any grease into the threads on the flange.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Garage
New bolts and Loctite.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #6

We do a fair number of these bolts on a regular basis; once everything is ready for the bolts, hit both the bolts and the bolt holes with a little brake cleaner (don't go nuts here, a little will clean off all the grease and oil), then blow them off with compressed air. Apply Loctite and torque; they will stay put.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #7

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
make sure your torque wench is correct. if you're using one of those $10 Harbor Freight torque wrenches, your torque is WAY off. those things aren't good for anything but use as a breaker bar.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote