Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #1

3m super shield as clear bra protection

Anyone have info / experience with the 3 m product for front end protection?
Installers in new England? Appearance + durability? Cost

Rlwalker799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

I have it, application was at dealer, price was around 500 if I recall correctly. I cannot speak to the longevity but the protection has demonstrated itself. One stone hit so hard it left a mark on the shield which rubbed right off, I'm sure without it the result would have been a chip. On white it's very invisible, you can see a line where it ends but it's hard to notice given the protection it offers.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #3

Mine is only second-hand information---I've never had this done (though I've been tempted). When applied properly (and all the ones I've seen were), they look pretty decent. You can see the line where the application material ends and the exposed paint begins, but it's fairly subtle. From what I've seen and heard, it works pretty well.

Know nothing about applicators in the New England area, nor about cost.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Make sure if you go with an invisible bra to use 3M and not a knock off.

I have seen a number of threads where someone went with an off brand and in just a couple of years they were dealing with ugly yellowing film that stuck like bondo to their cars
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #5

The stuff works.

I had the misfortune of barely tapping the front bumper of my 986 against a tall curb
a while back. The clear was totally scraped away, but the paint under it was completely unscathed!

Bird crap is a pain though as the plastic may bubble where the crap lands, unlike if it
landed on the paint.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

I have it on my 97 and its amazing. First owner (I am the second) had it put on when new and that one yellowed in color. When I received/purchased the car from him I had it removed and new 3M installed. That was 4 years ago and today its perfect. I just had a guy this past weekend ask if my car had been repainted. Well, it hasnt been redone. All the paint on the hood and front bumper are perfect. Mirrors were done too.

Well worth the money IMHO.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote