Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 12:23 AM   #1

long trip - any experience?

Hello all, my first post after buying my Boxster this week....

I've got a '00 Boxster S, with aprox 70K on the clock. Runs very sweet, my only question is has anyone else experienced their engine getting more 'whiney' after a long trip?

I did six hours of driving in it yesterday, and by the end it seemed to be noisier than before.... it could just be me, but I wondered if anyone else had any experience of long trips?

BTW - this forum is top notch, it's already put my mind at ease about the boxster puff of smoke trick, and solved why my alarm is beeping at me.

Thanks guys and gals.

trimporp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:33 AM   #2

The longest single stretch I've done in my '99 is about 500 miles. It ran like a watch the whole time, and I can't say I noticed it being any noisier at the end than at the beginning.
The whole trip was with the top up and the AC on as it was on interstate the whole way and the noise from the big rigs is unbearable in an open car, at least to me anyway.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #3

In general, I find a am more sensitive to noise after a long trip no matter what car I am driving.

I think fatigue may be the factor.

Just a thought.

Welcome to our forum.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #4

I drove my 97 4200+ miles this summer on a 3 week vacation to northern California. No louder after 5 straight hours of driving than normal in-town driving.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #5

I've driven mine 9 straight hours before and no new noises.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #6

I drove my 99 boxster straight home the same day of purchase nearly 12hours. The trip was as near to non-stop as possible. Had to stop for gas and caffeine. Most of trip was top down in florida sunshine. I would bet the noise was just your new car "jitters". On my trip home I was almost expecting something to go wrong. After a non incident 12 hour drive I was confident that my box was in top notch shape. Good luck and enjoy your car. By the way if you don't have recent service records I would consider changing the oil right away. You may also want to look into whether or not the 60K service has been done. If your not afraid to work on minor things like these you'll save a great deal of money. Welcome to the porsche world. Now lets see some pics of her.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:04 AM   #7

I have done a couple of 7 to 8 hour trips this summer with minumal stops and a few sprited sprints.
The only thing that I noticed was my nicely polished car was preaty dirty, lol. Thats black for you.

Richard
my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:26 AM   #8

thanks all

I think you're right about it being 'new owner' syndrome.

Car seems to be running fine - got caught out on the '5 day' shut down of the alarm system, so had the damn thing going when I went to get in!
trimporp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #9

Thumbs up Road Trip

After almost 2 years just did our first long trip (11 hours each way). No noises detected, but previously had a few 5 hour trips to prep for a distance run. Amazingly averaged 27.0 mpg and 71 mph according to OBC. Had worried about seat comfort, but it was no problem, thankfully. And yes, black cars do get dirty!

Oh, and was glad to discover one piece of roller luggage fit in front trunk.

And most importantly, we are Godparents now.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:06 AM   #10
bmussatti

This question has come up before. I think part of the answer is a function of driver fatigue and sensory overload.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
This question has come up before. I think part of the answer is a function of driver fatigue and sensory overload.
Probably you are correct. I was politely answering the basic thread, but wanting to comment mostly on my relief that the Box was a good road tripper. At least for us.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #12

Performed a drive from San Francisco to Newport Beach LA. last summer, just myself and my wife on HWY 1 Pacific Coast Hwy.

I have owned several sports cars, but can honestly say the Boxster gives me absolutly no body fatigue on long drives!!

BTW: HWY 1 is the best touring HWY in the USA, I got highbeams from even Enzo's during this trip!!

This summer 2006, we are going from LA to San Diego on HWY 1!!

Regards

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #13

The wife and I flew to Chicago and purchased my 2000 S. I took the wife out to eat in downtown Chicago and then drove back to St. Louis (5hours). The next weekend we drove it 3hrs each way for a wedding and the next week we drove to Memphis 7hrs. Most of my miles I have put on the S are on road trips (this year nashville,KC twice,and lake ozark and back same day) all with no new noise. It has become our road trip car. In a 1 1/2 years of ownership I have put on 16K happy happy miles. BTW this is NOT our DD either.

I love how you can fit 2 sets of clubs in one trunk and in the other enough clothes for a weekend (for my wife that is 5 bags and I get 1/2 of her shoe bag)

My only regret is that I can not lay the seat back and get a nap while she drives.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
creseida

I take the pooch for day trips quite often. This isn't my daily driver, (my daily driver averages 25-30k per year) but I've put about 15,000 miles on it in the 1.5 years I've had it. A day trip averages several hundred miles (average 300), but then again, leaving home to get anywhere and back is generally a minimum of 60-80 miles a day.

Always a fun drive.

Last edited by creseida; 06-03-2006 at 01:19 PM.