Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

Exhaust and Intake time/cost?

Can anyone clue my in on what it would normally cost for a an exhaust and air intake to be installed? I am likely going to be getting a Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust and am also thinking about an air intake as well.

I am checking out some local shops in the area...right now one indi shop is saying 8.5 hours of work for the cold air induction kit and 6 hours to install the exhaust. For some reason I was thinking this was about double what it should be? I am pretty sure I have heard of people getting exhausts put on for $300 or so... Take the time above by $140/hr and that adds up ....

thoughts?

thanks!
comet

mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

I can tell you 6 hours labor for R&R on the exhaust is laughable! If the car is in the air and ya got a can of PB Blaster, it wouldn't take me much more than 2 hours. Unfortunately, I've got a lot of experience removing and reinstalling the exhaust lol So, I may a little quicker than others maybe . ...but 6 hours does seem a bit of a premium

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
How many frozen exhaust bolts do you have? If none the job could be done in a couple hrs. If you have several that snap off and need to be drilled out it could be all day. Very difficult estimating unknowns. Unless you are adding a 3.6L, no reason to rip out a perfectly good stock intake.

Last edited by Topless; 08-24-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
mcomet:
It took me 3 hours to remove the stock exhaust and install a Top Speed Pro 1 cat-back exhaust. Spent 30 plus minutes getting the rear pipes to align horizontally correct. One pipe was higher than the other.. Dual pipes..

If it entails headers and exhaust that may take more hours.

By the way, never even had to jack the car up to replace and install.
T
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #5

Garage
A friend took his 996 turbo directly to fabspeed for complete exhaust, headers and cold air intake. In and out in 2 hours. they did the intake while the exhaust cooled and then the exhaust Even allowing for unforseen problems and if they supply the lubricant they are still screwing you.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
DIY extremist

on a lift, and using my 18volt impact gun, I can drop the factory exhaust from the manifolds back in less than 10 min (had to do it a few times lately), putting it back in, I'd say 20 min.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #7

I believe my primary cat is starting to rattle and is in need of replacement. 132k miles of SoCal driving. What's the odds that I will break exhaust flange bolt(s)?
Any tricks to removing them? along with penetrating oil, hot engine?, chill spray? impact hammer?
thanks in advance
Tad
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
I believe my primary cat is starting to rattle and is in need of replacement. 132k miles of SoCal driving. What's the odds that I will break exhaust flange bolt(s)?
Any tricks to removing them? along with penetrating oil, hot engine?, chill spray? impact hammer?
thanks in advance
Tad
My SoCA 2000 Box has 102K miles, the exhaust has been in & out several times & it still has all the original bolts & converters.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #9

I did the work myself.

It took me 15-20 minutes to install my intake.
It took me nearly 4 hours to install my exhaust system and test pipes (Without a lift or power/pneumatic tools or instructions). Same Top Speed exhaust as Tony Fury. Did not even need to lift the car. I also took time to align the exhaust using a dremel and washers.
I have youtube video's How To's:
Catback Exhaust: Porsche Boxster 986 Cat-back Exhaust DIY - YouTube
Test Pipes: Porsche Boxster 986 Test Pipes DIY - YouTube
Intake: Porsche Boxster 986 AFE Intake Install - YouTube
-Add 10 minutes to labor of Intake if you also have to install new air box.

That shop you are dealing with is slow if it will take them that long to install.

I got quotes from shops and they quoted me $300-450. I decided that was too much so I did the work myself. I just paid them $50 to torch the melted and rusted bolts off so I can easily remove them later. I bought a new set of bolts from Home Depot for $10.

Last edited by ProjectM96; 09-04-2012 at 05:45 AM.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #10

I just had a cat-back muffler system put on my 99 Boxster.

I got it off Ebay and took it to the local muffler shop. They charged me two hours labor ($120.00).

I Xerox'ed a copy of the three pages in my Bentley manual addressing dropping the muffler.

No broken or siezed bolts. No worries or hassles.

I now have a habit of bringing the RPMs up to 4000 before I shift. It sounds great.

I could not believe how much the original muffler weights, it is quite heavy.

MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote