Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Strut advice please - complicated

CURRENT SITUATION:

2000 Boxster S with euro spec RoW M030 suspension.
Front passenger side strut leaking badly.

Sacramento alignment shop Linville Bros had the car up on the rack this morning and recommends I replace both front struts since one is leaking. They quoted me $260 to replace the struts, $240 to replace the strut assemblies. This is for labor. They sent me out on my own to source the parts.

REPLACE STRUT CARTRIDGE OPTION

Bilstein sport apparently are an acceptable replacement part. Shox.com offers them $509 delivered with tax. They are on back order and "might arrive in about a week."

RESTORE ORIGINAL SUSPENSION

I have the original factory suspension, or at least most of it. Looks like 4 springs/shocks and 2 bars (sway bars?). The original suspension was much more comfortable, and I wouldn't mind going back, even though the car was higher. Concerns are whether I have all the parts needed or would the shop need to order some replacements. Would the shop need special Porsche expertise to recognize such a need. Cost to restore suspension is unknown.

NEW SUSPENSION

Probably not an option due to cost. I understand that the new Bilstein PSS are superior in ride and handling. But since the kit probably costs over a grand and install will be that again, this is not going to work. I took the bar exam and am awaiting results in November, so after 3 years of school and still no income, I am more concerned with getting the transportation in order than optimizing the car.

Any suggestions on another alternative, or whether to go back to the original set up versus just replacing struts? Any other comments most welcome. Thanks for any insights.

catalogguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

Garage
Sounds like you are just trying to get by for the time being so I would replace the leaking strut with a duplicate & that is it. Standard rule of thumb is to replace stuts in pairs front or rear but if your other side strut has little wear there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know how many miles on your car or miles on your struts but replacing the leaker will improve the saftey of your car. My 2000 S has 102,000 miles with original std. struts & drives OK.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Option 1. Leave it alone and drive on a blown strut til you got more cash. Not ideal but most Boxster drivers with 75k+ miles are driving around on completely shot struts.

Option 2. Re-install your old front struts. Free parts, not ideal because the M030 is a total system but it will likely be better than a blown strut.

Option 3. Fix it right. Replace both front struts with matching M030 components. Waiting for parts, more $$, better ride.

Re-installing the complete original suspension will probably be $1k in labor.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments...

I am going to ask about installing my original suspension, if the price is right. I am reading online about shops swapping suspensions for about $600. This would give me the original (comfortable) ride and make the car reliable transportation right now.

An even less expensive option would be to install my original struts on the front, leaving the M030 springs and sway bars. I have not yet found anyone who can speak from experience how this would work out since it is a mismatch. The labor would cost of $260 and not having to buy parts makes this appealing.

I read that Bilstein is the OEM for the Porsche struts, and many people are using the Bilstein Sport as their first choice replacement part. Tire Rack supplies them for $486. That brings the job to about 750.

I am thinking of dragging my original suspension down to the shop and ask them to have a look at it and give me a price and an opinion. This is not a Porsche shop, but it is a large and busy alignment shop.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Bilstein does make the struts for M030 but will generic HDs match the length and dampening of Porsche struts? Does it matter? I don't know.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Bilstein does make the struts for M030 but will generic HDs match the length and dampening of Porsche struts? Does it matter? I don't know.
What I have read (on the Boxster Racing Board this morning) is that the Bilstein Sport are 1" shorter than the HD to fit the shorter springs of the RoW kit, but both have the same "valving."

Also, I read that the Sport shocks will work with either the US or RoW springs, the 1" notwithstanding. Still just piecing together the info!