986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Leather Cleaning\wheel polish advice (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36976-leather-cleaning%5Cwheel-polish-advice.html)

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 08:52 AM

Leather Cleaning\wheel polish advice

My boxster has leather seats which I love but I don't like when they feel dirty and old. How can I clean them up and remove residual dirt that might be lingering on them from the years the car has been operational. Also the steering wheel has leather and I'd like to clean that good because it makes me hands feel really dirty after driving.

I have heard of using soap and water and of various other products while owning my camaro but since it was so new I only skimmed those topics. What have you guys found that works that also doesn't need to be special ordered. I'd liek to pick it up local if possible.

Lastly, does anyone have any wisdom to share on wheel polish? I love shiny wheels and I'd like to make them look newish again. I did scrub them down last week during my car wash but some times there is just that stubborn grease that is hard to get off in the wheel well.

Thanks <3

mountainman 08-21-2012 09:16 AM

For leather I have had good luck cleaning first with soapy water and then applying Leather CPR.

Leeper 08-21-2012 09:40 AM

How To Articles - Car Care Specialties

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 10:19 AM

Thanks for the guide link. Very useful stuff in there, reading it on my lunch break :)

Ghostrider 310 08-21-2012 11:00 AM

Lexol cleaner & conditioner

Bruce Wayne 08-21-2012 11:07 AM

it depends on how badly marked up they are.

a good leather repholstery shop can do wonders for seats and you can actually do the work yourself if too.

if they are badly cracked the leather will need to have a filler applied then sanded back colour sprayed and then treated it can literally turn old worn out seat to looking like new.

this runs you through the process here: Car Interiors Leather Repair & Restoration

the bolsters on my sports seats have the usual scuff marks on them, but last week, literally i purchased some coloured leather balm here: Leather Re-Colouring Balm

worked it into the bolsters and wear areas, and hell... it's come up amazingly well !

i'm sure you'll get equivalent products in the US of A.. you have literally everything there (and often cheaper too)

Mark_T 08-21-2012 11:24 AM

If I might jump in with a related problem of my own... My seat have picked up these sweat stains, at least that's what I think they are. I have tried a few things but without success. Any suggestions?

http://www.members.shaw.ca/oshikuru/seatstain.jpg

Ghostrider 310 08-21-2012 11:34 AM

Mark, my uncle and grandfather were shoemakers. I'd try lexol first but my uncle once told me a little white vinegar is good to dissolve a salt stain (winter shoe stains) which is essentially what a sweat stain would be, only use a tiny bit if you do it.

san rensho 08-21-2012 11:45 AM

I just wipe the leather with a barely damp strong paper towel, (blue mechanics paper towels) repeat with a new paper towel until the paper towel comes back clean, then just treat with Lexol. Less is more.

Bruce Wayne 08-21-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

My seat have picked up these sweat stains, at least that's what I think they are. I have tried a few things but without success. Any suggestions?

deodorant ?

:p :D

seriously though, the coloured leather balm like in the earlier link above should work.

Skrapmot 08-21-2012 01:38 PM

Leatherique. I used Leather CPR on my 15 yr old tans seats which helped a bit, but then I picked up the cleaner and rejuvenator Leatherique kit off Amazon and it pulled out so much dirt off my seats they looked 2 shades lighter! It even cleaned out the light scratches so they're less noticeable. The leather itself is noticeably softer also.
I have Lexol too which I use on maintaince cleanups, but doesn't compare in my experience.

Mark_T 08-21-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne (Post 302583)
deodorant ?

Great, now everyone's a freakin' comedian.... :D :D

I've tried Passier Lederbalsam and it didn't help much, which kinda surprised me actually, so I'll give the vinegar a shot and then follow it up if necessary with the colored balm.

Thanks for the suggestions!

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 02:14 PM

Haha, my seats are actually in great shape, I just have never cleaned leather seats in my life. I'll try soap and water to clean and get a conditioner from the store this weekend after I take my car to the wash.

Ghostrider 310 08-21-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 (Post 302606)
Haha, my seats are actually in great shape, I just have never cleaned leather seats in my life. I'll try soap and water to clean and get a conditioner from the store this weekend after I take my car to the wash.

NOOOO Unless you are specifically using saddle soap, just buy the lexol kit with cleaner & preservative, it will last a long time and it's well worth it.

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 03:06 PM

Woah there, Okay Ghostrider, I'll go pick up the lexol kit this week :)

Ghostrider 310 08-21-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 (Post 302611)
Woah there, Okay Ghostrider, I'll go pick up the lexol kit this week :)

Hey you want to scrub em up with some Irish Spring and a loofa knock yourself out, you're not going to like the result.

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 302620)
Hey you want to scrub em up with some Irish Spring and a loofa knock yourself out, you're not going to like the result.

Well I'd use Dove just like me, but I guess it's a different hide ;)

Ghostrider 310 08-21-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 (Post 302632)
Well I'd use Dove just like me, but I guess it's a different hide ;)

For your sake I hope so! 25 is a bit young to have your skin referred to as "leathery", Irish Spring was just for effect I don't use that either but Dove would ruin leather too.

Bryan topping 08-21-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 (Post 302536)
My boxster has leather seats which I love but I don't like when they feel dirty and old. How can I clean them up and remove residual dirt that might be lingering on them from the years the car has been operational. Also the steering wheel has leather and I'd like to clean that good because it makes me hands feel really dirty after driving.

I have heard of using soap and water and of various other products while owning my camaro but since it was so new I only skimmed those topics. What have you guys found that works that also doesn't need to be special ordered. I'd liek to pick it up local if possible.

Lastly, does anyone have any wisdom to share on wheel polish? I love shiny wheels and I'd like to make them look newish again. I did scrub them down last week during my car wash but some times there is just that stubborn grease that is hard to get off in the wheel well.

Thanks <3

Try some P21S on the wheels. the stuff works great!

WhipE350 08-21-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 302594)
Leatherique. I used Leather CPR on my 15 yr old tans seats which helped a bit, but then I picked up the cleaner and rejuvenator Leatherique kit off Amazon and it pulled out so much dirt off my seats they looked 2 shades lighter! It even cleaned out the light scratches so they're less noticeable. The leather itself is noticeably softer also.
I have Lexol too which I use on maintaince cleanups, but doesn't compare in my experience.

+1 ...fantastic stuff.