986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Plastic Windscreen dealios (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36926-plastic-windscreen-dealios.html)

paintboy 08-19-2012 09:45 AM

Plastic Windscreen dealios

So while driving down I 65 last night at almost double the legal speed limit (no one else around...any death would have been my own) the plastic wind screen inset was blown off the car and into an Indiana corn field. It is the item that goes in the role bar by the drivers and passengers head. Do they do that much? Should I replace the missing part? Looks better with out IMO. Did not seem to be any strange sounds when it auto ejected.....no extra whistling noise.

2003S 08-19-2012 09:57 AM

It's surprisingly expensive to replace with OEM, but there are at least a couple of aftermarket options -- one is a forum sponsor:

Jay Senoff's Custom Windscreens -Porsche Boxster

I believe Pelican has the OEM one, as well.

paintboy 08-19-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 302249)
It's surprisingly expensive to replace with OEM, but there are at least a couple of aftermarket options -- one is a forum sponsor:

Jay Senoff's Custom Windscreens -Porsche Boxster

I believe Pelican has the OEM one, as well.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.:cheers:

BruceH 08-19-2012 11:05 AM

That's why mine are zip-tied:D You can also find them used on fleabay for a lot less.

particlewave 08-19-2012 09:35 PM

One of my latches doesn't lock down all the way...I need to do something before I lose mine.

Skrapmot 08-19-2012 10:03 PM

They're pretty pricey, which makes them a target for thieves. I haven't noticed any different in wind buffeting with my 986 with it off or on, so l just leave it off.

tjbjday 08-19-2012 11:18 PM

Wind Screen

I have Jay's windscreen. I installed the first one with the instructions and the rubber wraps. I had cracking problems and fit problems. Jay worked with me to get a second one. Nice guy!

I installed the second one using my own method. I made some stand-offs and secured the bottom as well as the top. So far it is working great with NO rattles. Make significant difference in wind noise inside cockpit. My wife and I have no trouble talking.

I can send you pictures if you would like.

Soetekouw 08-20-2012 04:13 AM

That is why I use clear fishing line to tie them to the rollbar. I just hope I never lose the centerpiece, since it is only held on by two clips. I hear the windscreen setup is quite expensive.

Homeboy981 08-20-2012 05:03 AM

There IS a Solution to all this!

Hi Paintboy, Sorry to hear about your loss!

The solution to this problem is elegantly simple. Place a single piece of plexiglass or Lexan BETWEEN the roll bar and roll bar padding - you use the roll bar padding "factory bolts" to secure it in place. It CANNOT go anywhere - unless your roll bar blows off! ha-ha

I have one that is taking it's sweet time getting from prototype into production.

My prototype has been tested at race speeds and there is a significant wind reduction. The faster you go the more it is held in place and cannot "fall off" or be stolen - unless the thief has nothing better to do!

We are looking at a price point of around $75. It is only one small sheet of material….the trick is KNOWING WHERE TO MAKE THE HOLES! We're not making donuts here.

986Porsche986 08-20-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 302324)
One of my latches doesn't lock down all the way...I need to do something before I lose mine.

One on my latches was broken off too, so I was able to use some very thin screws that were about an inch long and screw it into place Hasnt, moved or rattled ever since!

:)

paintboy 08-20-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjbjday (Post 302329)
I have Jay's windscreen. I installed the first one with the instructions and the rubber wraps. I had cracking problems and fit problems. Jay worked with me to get a second one. Nice guy!

I installed the second one using my own method. I made some stand-offs and secured the bottom as well as the top. So far it is working great with NO rattles. Make significant difference in wind noise inside cockpit. My wife and I have no trouble talking.

I can send you pictures if you would like.

That would be awesome.:)