Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
bmussatti

How Much for an Oil Change?

I'd like to hear how much Boxster owners are paying for an oil change at the dealer (not DIY'ers). I have been quoted $120-$199 in the Chicago area for the exact same service. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I'd like to hear how much Boxster owners are paying for an oil change at the dealer (not DIY'ers). I have been quoted $120-$199 in the Chicago area for the exact same service. Thanks!

$ 190 in NY, Long Island.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #3

$165 with redline (10x better than mobil 1) in san diego, ca.
airbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #4

I pay a local service station $15 to do the oil change.

I buy my own oil 9 qts at $3.50 and filter at Porsche Dealer at about $17.

Total cost about $64.

My local dealer charges $150 I believe.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
bmussatti

Airbox1, what is Redline?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
bmussatti

Brucelee, I am confused, I thought you are a Porsche dealer. Why don't you just go to your own service station? Please clarify. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #7

I Don't recommend having your oil changed at the dealer.........costs way too much. DIY or find a local mechanic you can trust. Alwase use genuine Porsche parts for the filter, element and crush ring for the plug. I recommend the OEM Oil - Mobile 1 0-40
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Airbox1, what is Redline?
It's another syn oil. Very popular in racing and with street motorcycles.

I use it in my bikes.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:55 AM   #9

I have used Redline oil in my bike. High quality but very high in price.

Around $7 and up if memory serves?

Old 09-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #10

My mechanic Hans will do it for me for $120.

When he's at work at the local Porsche dealership, he does the same thing but the dealership charges $160.

This has precipitated the spousal approval to buy a floor jack and a couple of jack stands to do it myself in the future and break even in less than two oil changes for the cost of the jack.

I really want a floor jack. For some reason, I have a strong desire to look under my Boxster about once a month!

Hey, if you know where I can buy a cheap jack pad for a boxster, please PM me (so as not to hijack this thread).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:57 AM   #11

I've used the redline oil once before in a dsm "race car" sort-of. The oil was very good. Engine was silky smooth, but im not sure how many (x)'s better it would be than the Mobil 1. The price was a bit high. It has been several years but i believe the cost to be near $10 per quart. Of course a mail order source may be significately cheaper. I'd love to hear any experience w/ redline in boxsters.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 AM   #12

picking your floor jack

i don't mean to thread heist, but just wanted to put in a quick note for anyone considering getting a floor jack to change oil etc.

Make sure that it will fit under the Boxster. My floor jack couldn't get low enough to fit under and my car isn't lowered or anything. Just something to consider.

$150 for a dealer oil change here in SD last time i checked - pioneer centres in miramar. it includes a few other visual checks too as i recall.

cheers,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #13

Now that's good floorjack shopping information. I'll measure my clearance before I head out to buy one.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled programming of the insane price of synthetic oil and those that change it...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:29 PM   #14

larez2, your opinion please...

on Pioneer Centres service department. I think Eslai had some good things to say about them, but would also like to hear your thoughts. They did some minor adjustment type things for me shortly after purchase, but if something should happen I'd like to have a place in mind to go to and also for the inevitable service points. I guess for us it's either Hoehn or Pioneer. I always see a boatload of 986s in Pioneer's service lot...I guess there's a backup on RMS fixes and engine replacements in SD.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #15

Opinion on Pioneer Centres. Knowledgable, quality work as promised, expensive and usually friendly.

I don't remember names, but everyone I've talked to seemed knowledgable there. I haven't personally had very many services performed there, the previous owner of my vehicle had all their service done there, and the car runs great. They know what they are doing. For the services I have had done - they were straight forward, no crazy wheels falling off while I'm driving or stripped bolts or cars not ready when promised, or anything like that.

I think price wise they probably in line with what every other Porsche dealer is charging - expensive IMO. It irked me a bit when I unplugged my seat and tripped the airbag light on the dash. I explained what I did and they charged $50 to turn it off (5 min procedure w/ PS2 tool). I've heard of other places doing it for free. I think most services and parts can be obtained elsewhere for cheaper. Routine maintenance, alignments, parts, etc.

I did have one negative experience. I was looking for a specific wiring harness and did not have the part number, I described it to the guy on the phone, and he said there is nothing like that. I said there was, but i didn't have a part number. I described to him what the wiring harness did and he said, "you can't do that, you'd be better of selling your car and buying another one that has that feature from the factory" I was put off by this. I ended up getting the part number from Tool Pants, and called Hohn Porsche, and the service dept was more helpful on that one.

Overall I would rate them as average. They defintely don't stand out as a top service shop to me, but they are not crap either. I'd get my car serviced there for stuff that I can't do myself. I am actually in search of a indepenent shop that knows Boxsters well, because my box is out of warranty, and I don't see any compelling reasons to keep going to there to service it. Since your car is still under warranty, anything that breaks will be covered, no charge to you.

HTH,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #16

I deal in used Porsche's only. Hence, I have no station of my own. I do however, have very good relationships with service folks around town including the local Porsche dealer.

Quote:
Brucelee, I am confused, I thought you are a Porsche dealer. Why don't you just go to your own service station? Please clarify. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Hey, if you know where I can buy a cheap jack pad for a boxster, please PM me (so as not to hijack this thread).
Avoiding hijacking, check here: http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26186#post26186