986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I hate people (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36877-i-hate-people.html)

Coffinhunter 08-17-2012 06:48 AM

I hate people

I do my best to park where no one else is (walking is good for you too!), and in the garage at home. Today I get out of my car, walk around the back toward the passenger side and I see that someone has scratched/keyed/shopping carted the rear passenger side by the tail light. Most of it looks like it can be buffed out, but a bit of it is to the metal. There is no dent, so I guess that is the good news.

Any advice on how to touch up after buffing out the scratch?

ekam 08-17-2012 06:53 AM

How bad is it? Post a pic.

Johnny Danger 08-17-2012 07:03 AM

Hell is—other people!”
― Jean-Paul Sartre

blue2000s 08-17-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffinhunter (Post 302023)
I do my best to park where no one else is (walking is good for you too!), and in the garage at home. Today I get out of my car, walk around the back toward the passenger side and I see that someone has scratched/keyed/shopping carted the rear passenger side by the tail light. Most of it looks like it can be buffed out, but a bit of it is to the metal. There is no dent, so I guess that is the good news.

Any advice on how to touch up after buffing out the scratch?

I've had luck with filling stratches with minimal paint, just enough to get color in, wet sanding it smooth, and polishing it in. It takes some guts to do it though.

jb92563 08-17-2012 08:12 AM

With technology today it would be easy to have some in car survielance cameras mounted in the car to identify the vandals. Its best to take the evidence to law enforcement after that and insist they deal with it.

Once you know who did it then it can only lead to even more grief if you try to deal with it yourself. The person with the most to loose suffers the most.

I know a guy who used some furniture stripper on a vandals car. Very effective apparently and if your really hateing the vandal then putting a match to it could be the icing on the cake.

The vandal then appeared at my friends house pounding on the door and the wife opened the door, and the vandal told her he was going to kill her husband.

Moments later the police arrived and threw the guy in jail for uttering death threats.

6 months later when my friend had come back from a week vacation he came home to a house flooded with water, all the faucets running and sinks plugged and the car in his garage destroyed with a baseball bat.

Took my friend over 9 months to get everything repaired and insufficient proof to put the vandal away.

Moral of the story, just fix the scratch and stay away from public parking lots with your Porsche.

I drive my old Jeep Wrangler to the parking lots. It was keyed at some point but since I don't wash it much the key mark was mostly dirt and after a wash and a new layer of dirt its not even noticable. :p

I should be on the lookout for a grocery shopper with a dirty hand.:D

Its true that anytime you have something exceptional there will always be people that want to bring you down, so keep your good stuff away from other people who don't appreciate it.

Coffinhunter 08-17-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 302024)
How bad is it? Post a pic.

It's not horrible, and when I am driving down the freeway no one will even notice it :p....But I got the car in perfect condition about one month ago, and have done all I can to keep it in said condition. So it is mostly the principle of the matter to me.

I'm at work so I cant put up a pic now, but will try later

Coffinhunter 08-17-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 302025)
Hell is—other people!”
― Jean-Paul Sartre

A wise man....

san rensho 08-17-2012 09:48 AM

What gets me is I will park really far away, in a completely empty section of the parking lot and inevitably, when I come back, the lot is still empty, but some guy with a POS beat up 15 year old car is parked right next to me, inches from the door.

Johnny Danger 08-17-2012 10:48 AM

I still want to know what a "coffin hunter" is ?

milliemax 08-17-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 302052)

Funeral business ?

AndyA6 08-17-2012 11:05 AM

Welcome to the club, that is the club of total frustration........ I feel you! Happens all the time, unfortunately to us as well.

Paul 08-17-2012 03:29 PM

That's why my 924S is my daily driver.....

dbear61 08-17-2012 03:47 PM

You can't fix stupid. Same thing happened to me two weeks ago, I was only in the store for 30 minutes. Ding in the fender behind the driver's door, and the culprit was gone.

tnoice 08-17-2012 05:16 PM

That's why people can't have nice stuff. Right after we bought out brand new Toyota FJ cruiser, my wife parked it at the grocery store out in the middle of no where. When she got done shopping and walked back to the car, a nasty caprice was parked next to it and had door dinged the crap out of the passenger side. The poor FJ was only a month old. Got it fixed, but seriously....come on.

shadowprincess25 08-17-2012 09:08 PM

This happened a lot when I owned my Camaro, I park even farther away with my porsche, but everytime... someone... parks... near... me -.-

I agree stupid can't be fixed.

Also seems no one sees me even if I am doing the speed limit, it was so bad I thought my blinkers didn't work... Nope they work fine. People just hate the girl in the porsche.

Bruce Wayne 08-18-2012 12:45 PM

so it's not just herw in the UK then.. i pull into a supermarket car park and park in the middle of 200 empty spaces, come out.. there's now 199 empty spaces and guess where the ****er has parked !!

left the boxster at London Heathrow airport, while over in Ireland for a couple of days, get back and the rear valnce is 3 inches punched in.. did the a-hole leave their details ? nope.

being the major airport in teh country it's all under CCTV.. car park woint release footage to the public, only the police.. the police too busy with donuts to do anything (despite leaving an accident being an offence).

Ghostrider 310 08-18-2012 12:54 PM

Some people park that way just because they know it causes the sports car owner consternation, now what pleasure they get from doing that is a mystery. I have not parked anywhere but outdoor cafes where I can see the car. To my complete shock everyone has been respectful of it, even next door parkers! It gets a lot of photos but nobody has been malicious.

Coffinhunter 08-18-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 302052)

It is from "the Dark Tower" series of books by Stephen King. Outlaws....

rgriffin 08-18-2012 01:55 PM

I once went into shop to get bagel and coffee at 6am. only one truck in whole parking lot with someone sitting in it. Came out 5 minutes later with scratch to the metal from front to rear. Amazing how much hatred is out there. I also had someone scratch the word "fag" on my driver's side door. Jealousy??
I try to remember that this is one of the reasons for being well-insured.
Funny... I've had 4 Mercedes and a Z3. Never had these issues with them. Porsche brings much more attention... good and bad.

Ghostrider 310 08-19-2012 04:46 AM

That is a bad story Mr Griffin, especially since my pal wants me to spend the winter in Atl wheeling around in my escape with NY tags. I'll be lucky if I get it back north with the doors on it.