986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Craiglist Posting - 2002 Porsche Boxster $6800 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36819-craiglist-posting-2002-porsche-boxster-%246800.html)

arthurj3 08-15-2012 09:26 AM

Craiglist Posting - 2002 Porsche Boxster $6800

Craiglist Columbus Ohio had this posted 8/14. It looks like it was originally posted 8/4.

If you believe the story (low price, sense of urgency, etc) , what would be the likely cause of his situation? Water through the back window onto the engine would cause what to happen in the most likely scenario?
If not BS, it could be an opportunity for a forum member that knows how to fix these cars.

OR
It could all be BS and the motor could have IMSB issue or something else covered up by making the car nonstartable.

Here is the post

2002 Porsche Boxster $6800

Military move is forcing me to sell my 2002 Porsche Boxster S.

The car has 106,000 miles and needs a new plastic window sewn in the top. Water got in and is causing an electrical problem so the car currently does not start. I am a very motivated seller and have the title in hand.

Gray on gray with black top Tiptronic with Xenon's and upgraded BOSE sub woofer system.

I will accept the first reasonable offer.

Keywords: Convertible, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Roadster, Sports Car, Miata, Honda, Toyota, Mechanics Special, Below Blue Book

mgmperf 08-15-2012 09:36 AM

If the story is ture. The immobilizer box under the front seat is probably fried. Worst case $1000.00 fix by the local 'stealer'. Might be able to get running with a can of denatured alcohol soak, clean and dry the circuit board and replace the mini fuse. $10.00 fix, $20.00 if you need the socket to get get the seat out! Been there done that!

thstone 08-15-2012 11:13 AM

Always assume the worst when considering buying a car that won't run and you will never be disappointed.

SeanZ4 08-15-2012 01:36 PM

It could be ligit or not. I just looked at that ad and he doesn't leave a phone number. I would if I were 'motivated'... I've seen too many ads for cars here in the middle of Kansas only to notice palm trees or mountains in the background. Just saw a '11 Panamera for only $46k last week. I flagged it. With those miles and the not-starting due to ??? issue, that may be right in there price-wise. If you email him and he says it's currently in a warehouse, or that he's already been deployed but if you want the car....blah, blah, blah.... It's a scam and walk away. It looks like it's a 'S' also...

sean

dghii 08-16-2012 12:36 PM

My bet is not a real ad. Same ad is posted in Dayton and Cincy. I didn't look any further. My key is always phone# included. All you have to do is spell out a few digits to keep the spammers away.

dghii 08-16-2012 12:39 PM

BTW,
A year ago, I did pick up a 98 boxster, Running but needed a top, for $4,800. Car was dirty but ran great. I brought all maintenance up to date and put a used top/frame on the car. I sold it to a coworker who wanted to buy it, even before I had a chance to clean it up! I made him wait while I got everything in order.

Sure would like to find another deal like that!

SeanZ4 08-16-2012 01:01 PM

I know of one in Kansas City at an exotic car dealership that has a 'bad engine'... whatever that means. I could give you the link to their site if you want.

Rfromet 08-17-2012 07:09 AM

Just emailed with him last night. Car was "just" sold...

Homeboy981 08-19-2012 06:06 AM

Bait and switch scam….they do the same thing on CL here in DFW! Scammers or spammers - either way…steer clear! Don't let the idea of a "good deal" override your brain. "Think with your dipstick!"

Ghostrider 310 08-19-2012 06:40 AM

As others said there are people scamming. When I shopped for the spyder there was one on Autotrader private sale for like 55K. When I tried to pursue and inquire about it it disappeared. Then it showed up on another one. I came to realize it was some sort of scam, I'm not sure what the angle was but the offer was not legitimate.

jcb986 08-21-2012 10:44 AM

Most of them are trying to get your cell number and or email. Where do think all those unsolicited text and emails come from.