986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Can anyone explain these codes?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36783-can-anyone-explain-these-codes.html)

986Porsche986 08-13-2012 11:50 AM

Can anyone explain these codes??

These four codes came up after a loss of power. Not sure what was
the cause other than possibly bad fuel.

(see this earlier post)

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36771-bad-fuel-symptons.html

P1125 - Oxygen sensing adaptation, upper load range, cyl. 1 - 3
Short to ground / below lower limit / lean mixture threshold
Short to B+ / above upper limit / rich mixture threshold

P1126 - Oxygen sensing adaptation, lower load range, cyl. 1 - 3

P1132 - Oxygen sensing adaptation, upper load range, cyl. 4 - 6

P1133 - Oxygen sensing adaptation, lower load range, cyl. 4 - 6

Would a failing fuel pump trigger any codes?

thstone 08-13-2012 11:58 AM

Potential causes:
– Incorrect signal from MAF sensor
– Intake air system leaking
– Fuel pressure too low
– Volume supply of fuel pump too low
– Fuel injectors fouled

thstone 08-13-2012 12:01 PM

The computer is saying that it cannot adjust (adapt) beyond the lower limit. This means that the O2 sensors are detecting an extremely lean condition so there is either too much air getting in (air leaks), or too little fuel (bad fuel pump (pressure or flow) or clogged injectors, or the sensor (MAF) is broken. The MAF is the chief suspect in this lineup.

Topless 08-13-2012 01:22 PM

More info on this:
P1123, P1125, P1128 codes - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php/topic/21009-fault-code-1126-1133/page__p__108636__hl__%221133%22__fromsearch__1#ent ry108636
It looks like a dead MAF.

986Porsche986 08-13-2012 02:12 PM

thanks for the info. Now the car takes about 15 to 20 seconds of cranking before it starts sputtering and barley fires up. Once its started it runs pretty rough for the first couple of minutes, then it idles with no problems at all. I just changed my spark plugs about one week ago. I did contact the local agricultural department and they are sending an inspector to the Chevron to inspect the fuel on Tuesday. They are also going to get about a quart of fuel from me from the drained tank. In my honest opinion, it seemed to me like the gas that I pulled out of the tank was not very strong in odor like gasoline should be. I guess at this point, I will wait for their results and then if the gas tests show nothing wrong, then I am thinking the fuel pump might be the problem.

Would the car have trouble starting right away if the MAF sensor was bad?

mump 08-13-2012 02:15 PM

Yup, sounds like MAF

Topless 08-13-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Porsche986 (Post 301487)
thanks for the info. Now the car takes about 15 to 20 seconds of cranking before it starts sputtering and barley fires up. Once its started it runs pretty rough for the first couple of minutes, then it idles with no problems at all. I just changed my spark plugs about one week ago. I did contact the local agricultural department and they are sending an inspector to the Chevron to inspect the fuel on Tuesday. They are also going to get about a quart of fuel from me from the drained tank. In my honest opinion, it seemed to me like the gas that I pulled out of the tank was not very strong in odor like gasoline should be. I guess at this point, I will wait for their results and then if the gas tests show nothing wrong, then I am thinking the fuel pump might be the problem.

Would the car have trouble starting right away if the MAF sensor was bad?

Simply unplug the MAF. If the car runs better you found the problem. If the car runs no better... keep digging.

986Porsche986 08-13-2012 07:09 PM

Unplugged the MAF and the car still dosent start right away. I will take it for a drive tomorrow and see how she runs.

tony_fury 08-13-2012 08:17 PM

For what it's worth...
I had a friend on a motorcycle trip across country, purchased fuel in Alburquerque and his motorcycle died on the freeway. Had to have it towed, found that he gotten water down fuel. Had to drain the tank and get new fuel to get his bike running again.

986Porsche986 08-13-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_fury (Post 301530)
For what it's worth...
I had a friend on a motorcycle trip across country, purchased fuel in Alburquerque and his motorcycle died on the freeway. Had to have it towed, found that he gotten water down fuel. Had to drain the tank and get new fuel to get his bike running again.

im not surprised. that seems to happen often in new mexico. sigh..... i sure miss arizona. :ah: