986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clutch slave cylinder options? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36752-clutch-slave-cylinder-options.html)

Stroked & Blown 08-11-2012 05:58 AM

Clutch slave cylinder options?

My clutch was creaking & sticking on my way home from work the other day - got home and found super blue on the garage floor. Master cylinder is gone. Seems pretty straightforward to replace.

Figured I'd change the slave while I'm at it, but noticed that you have to buy $300 in hoses in fittings to get the $63 slave cylinder to work. :eek:

Are there other options for the slave? e.g. an older design that works with the line already on my car.

What's the degree of difficulty in running a new clutch line to the slave?

Also - anything else I should replace while I'm in there?

SeanZ4 08-13-2012 07:18 AM

I had this same problem. The clutch was squeaking like crazy. It was coming from the transmission/slave cylinder area. Is that what yours was doing? I took the slave out and greased the little tip of it hoping to quiet it down. Didn't work. It still squeaks and my clutch feels a little stiffer than others I've felt. You say the master cylinder? Did that affect your brakes as well? My '00S only has around 40k on it but the squeaking (more like a creaking) drives me nuts.

sean

Stroked & Blown 08-16-2012 08:54 AM

I installed the MC last night - comments & notes here: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Clutch Hydraulics Overhaul (Boxster Master Cylinder & Boxster Slave Cylinder Replacement) - 986 / 987

Flushing the fluid today.

Big thanks to Wayne for documenting the process & providing a easy to order package of parts.

Stroked & Blown 08-16-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanZ4 (Post 301432)
I had this same problem. The clutch was squeaking like crazy. It was coming from the transmission/slave cylinder area. Is that what yours was doing? I took the slave out and greased the little tip of it hoping to quiet it down. Didn't work. It still squeaks and my clutch feels a little stiffer than others I've felt. You say the master cylinder? Did that affect your brakes as well? My '00S only has around 40k on it but the squeaking (more like a creaking) drives me nuts.

sean

Mine was squeaking a little, but the telltale sign was the fluid on the garage floor just forward of the drivers side door.

There is a separate master cylinder for the clutch that does not affect teh brakes.

My '98 has 36,xxx miles on it.

Eric G 08-16-2012 09:27 AM

The master cylinder for the clutch will work the the existing OEM line in the car. Only the slave needed the update fitting and last section of fluid line.

The Master is "easy" to replace if you are able to get into the peddle region to pull two bolts our and pull one clip. I say easy tongue in cheek, depending on how limber you are it may require pulling the seat out. I did mine with it in but it was tight.

(The clutch master has a small black line you will see that feeds into the brake master cylinder, so if you open the lines up and have fluid drain out, it will be pulling both the brakes and clutch line)

Stroked & Blown 08-16-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 301862)
The master cylinder for the clutch will work the the existing OEM line in the car. Only the slave needed the update fitting and last section of fluid line.

The Master is "easy" to replace if you are able to get into the peddle region to pull two bolts our and pull one clip. I say easy tongue in cheek, depending on how limber you are it may require pulling the seat out. I did mine with it in but it was tight.

(The clutch master has a small black line you will see that feeds into the brake master cylinder, so if you open the lines up and have fluid drain out, it will be pulling both the brakes and clutch line)

Yeah - I just replaced the MC, because I didn't want to spend $300 on lines for preventative maintenance.
I agree with taking the seat out and would recommend doing that. Even factoring in disconnecting the battery, radio codes, etc - it's much easier on your back.