986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Advise on Dr colorchip (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36751-advise-dr-colorchip.html)

Ghostrider 310 08-11-2012 05:16 AM

Advise on Dr colorchip

When my car arrived it had several nicks on it from a careless weed whacking at the dealer (I was thrilled!). Anyhow, I thought about getting the entire rocker panels shot but instead I'm go to try the good "doctor". The damage is so low that any reasonable repair should be seamless and I figure I always have the option to respray. So, if any of you learned something important when you used said product, let me know here. I appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum and I want to achieve the best results.

Bruce Wayne 08-11-2012 06:33 AM

ghostrider, can you post before and after pics..

of the car that is.. not yourself.. :p

it would be interesting to see what a real world result is as opposed to marketing lay-up shots.

i've been thing about getting some sent over..

Ghostrider 310 08-11-2012 07:38 AM

Looks like it might help others so no doubt I will. I have good friends who run a body shop, I think I'm going to have coffee with them next week. Show them the product and pick up some prep tips. I believe they have special cleaning fluid unless that comes from the good doctor.

jrblackman 08-11-2012 12:14 PM

Subscribed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 301242)
When my car arrived it had several nicks on it from a careless weed whacking at the dealer (I was thrilled!). Anyhow, I thought about getting the entire rocker panels shot but instead I'm go to try the good "doctor". The damage is so low that any reasonable repair should be seamless and I figure I always have the option to respray. So, if any of you learned something important when you used said product, let me know here. I appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum and I want to achieve the best results.

I have been looking at this as well. I'll likely ad it to the list of projects I have lined up for this winter while the car is garaged. I look forward to everyone's input.

Johnny Danger 08-11-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 301257)
Looks like it might help others so no doubt I will. I have good friends who run a body shop, I think I'm going to have coffee with them next week. Show them the product and pick up some prep tips. I believe they have special cleaning fluid unless that comes from the good doctor.

There must be an Earl Scheib franchise in your area . :cool:

2003S 08-11-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 301310)

I'll paint that car for 99.99 or my name isn't Earl Scheib!

I just googled them, and sadly, they ceased operating in 2010.
http://www.earlscheib.com/

Ghostrider 310 08-11-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 301310)

If the good doctor doesn't work out I have resources to repair it correctly, you are not the only meticulous one with you vehicle jman.

Johnny Danger 08-11-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 301316)
If the good doctor doesn't work out I have resources to repair it correctly, you are not the only meticulous one with you vehicle jman.

In which universe are you referring to ?

southernstar 08-13-2012 04:16 AM

Ghostrider I found that it works incredibly well on small chips. There is no cleaning solution with the kit, but their recommendation of rubbing alcohol worked fine so long as you rub it well and repeat the process a couple of times. In my experience, if you let the paint sit for a little longer than the recommended minimum (about 20 minutes) before applying the second (clear) coat it adheres better. In addition, don't worry about getting the paint portion over an area a fair bit larger than the chip (it will happen when you swipe with the back of your finger, or the inlcuded tool) - the excess will rub off with the clear solution (and a bit of elbow grease). Do not apply in direct sunlight, however, as it tends to bake on the paint solution.

Dr Colorchip worked incredibly well on my car's ocean blue metallic; having said that, they do suggest that it works better on darker colours, so I will be interested in hearing how it works on your car. If the area in question is the rocker panels, I would have complete confidence however that it will make a dramatic improvement.

Brad

Ghostrider 310 08-13-2012 04:27 AM

Thanks, it's the rockers and it was already brush touched, then after some oil coatings from the muffler is looks awful. I see it this way, if I don't like it it's only a little more sanding for the pros.

Oh and Johnny, what universe am I typing from? The one where my car can still hand your car it's tailpipe, that one.:D

Johnny Danger 08-13-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 301418)
Thanks, it's the rockers and it was already brush touched, then after some oil coatings from the muffler is looks awful. I see it this way, if I don't like it it's only a little more sanding for the pros.

Oh and Johnny, what universe am I typing from? The one where my car can still hand your car it's tailpipe, that one.:D

Freud would say, "it's more than just a tailpipe" !

Ghostrider 310 08-13-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 301420)
Freud would say, "it's more than just a tailpipe" !

I've always said it's not the length or tailpipe size but rather the waiting list one is able to schedule for the tailpipe service schools.

johnsimion 08-13-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 301242)

If your car was damaged by weed-whacking while at the dealer, I really don't understand why the dealer isn't taking care of the problem.

I have Dr. Colorchip. I never seem to get anything but larger and deeper chips and scratches/gouges, and it definitely does NOT work well on them. Where I have used Dr. Colorchip on the small stuff, it sorta works but you can still feel and see the damaged areas. It's just a quick fix for really small stuff IMHO. Patient work with regular touchup paint and a Qixx kit has given me good results, but it's very time consuming.

I really just don't think Dr. Colorchip is right for your car. I had an incident involving my commuter vehicle in which high winds blew gravel across the parking lot and I returned to find the entire side of the car had thousands of tiny chips. It doesn't sound much different from your incident except perhaps in the size of the affected area. The estimate was ridiculously high, but they justified it because they said they had to strip down the affected panels to get a smooth finish. They also showed me a ton of semi-chips in which the paint was nicked and no longer smooth, even though not fully chipped. They said that if they just re-shot it the car without stripping, the finish would let you see the old chips through the new paint. They did end up fixing it this way, with good results. Thank goodness for insurance, as it was several thousand dollars.

Based on my own experience, I would be very reluctant to let the dealer walk on this and to do your own repairs with Dr. Colorchip. You may have a lot of damage you haven't even noticed; Dr. Colorchip won't be perfect; and you can't assume that a body shop could "just shoot it" and give you a good job. I think your car deserves better.

Ghostrider 310 08-13-2012 06:36 AM

Well we will have to see on the colorchip, if it doesn't work I'll scrap it.

As for this though: you can't assume that a body shop could "just shoot it" and give you a good job. I think your car deserves better.

Actually, I can because it isn't just ANY body shop

jrblackman 07-15-2013 10:45 AM

Dr Colorchip Results

My hood had a fair amount of road rash when I bought the car. I finally ordered the Dr Colorchip last week and used it over the weekend. I am very pleased with the results. Don't get me wrong if you think you are going to spend $50.00 -$80.00 and get body shop respray results you are dreaming but if you are patient with the process it does look considerably better when you are finished. You can make small nicks disappear and large ones much less noticeable. My 2000 is Ocean Blue Metallic; I don't know if results would be better or worse on light color paint. Based on my results I have no problem recommending.

schnellman 07-15-2013 11:25 AM

Dr Color Chip Advice

Don't expect respray results.