986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Wrench(s) for brake line replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36729-wrench-s-brake-line-replacement.html)

mikehkang 08-09-2012 06:22 AM

Wrench(s) for brake line replacement

I am thinking of replacing the brake lines to the stainless steel type.

I have two questions:

1. Is the upgrade worth it?
2. The Pelican technical article lists "10mm/11mm crescent flare-nut wrench" as tools needed. Do I need both size wrenches or just 11mm?

Thanks in advance.

BYprodriver 08-09-2012 06:35 AM

I have heard or read somewhere that Porsche factory race teams run the oem lines. My 2000 S has 102K miles & I am sure the weakest link in my brakes is the multipurpose pads. Next week I will be installing new oem brake hoses & struts weather I need them or not. Buy a Snap-On combination flare nut wrench with 10mm & 11mm on the same wrench.

Homeboy981 08-09-2012 07:03 AM

Hi mikehkang, I have contemplated the same questions about Stainless Steel brake lines. All I know is, I've replaced the rubber lines with SS lines and DID notice a difference. Besides, the stock rubber lines are 10+ years old now! Plan on doing track days too and I KNOW they will provide a less-mushy feeling at the end of the day.

I have replaced rubber with SS on bikes, cars, trucks and a go-kart (the fast ones) and, while it may only keep the fade from happening under hard braking….you will never know how valuable they are until you run in a little too deep and have to use them, in that case it may only be a foot or two that is saves you - but THAT FOOT could make the difference!

It is a cheap upgrade, always has been…do it and let us know how it comes out. Unless I end up doing mine first. In which case, I will let you know. It is for sure on my short list of upgrades.

stephen wilson 08-09-2012 10:32 AM

Here's my 2 cents: I put SS lines on my 20 year old Toyota, and couldn't tell the difference in pedal feel. On the other hand, it certainly can't hurt.

Also, SS lines do nothing to prevent or reduce brake fade. The only benefits are strength/reliability ( if they're quality pieces! ), and possibly a firmer pedal.

Jittsl 08-09-2012 11:24 AM

My guess is that the OE brake lines are better quality than most of the SS lines we install as an "upgrade". Just remember that rubber has a finite life and should probably be replaced after 10 years. Having said that, my SpecBox runs SS lines for no other reason than everybody does and I'm a lemming. I could not identify any difference in racing conditions.

For some reason I own a 10, a 11 and a 12 mm Flare wrench. I would only have bought them if I needed them. Having done the install the only one I now carry to the track is the 11 required for the bleed nipples.

mikehkang 08-09-2012 03:59 PM

BYprodriver,
Homeboy981,
Stephen,
Jittsle.

Thank you for your input. :cheers:

I will look for a Snap-on or a like quality 10mm-11mm wrench.
Perhaps, that's what the Pelican text refers to - a wrench that has 10mm AND 11mm on the same wrench and not that I will need 10mm for this particular job.

I love my Boxster for many many many reasons.
However, the Boxster community is the BIGGEST reason why I love this car. :)

ChrisZang 08-09-2012 09:35 PM

make sure that you get the VERY BEST QUALITY flare wrench that is out there
With cheap tools this job can easily turn into a very expensive repair

Also don't get any of the cheap knock-off braided brake lines from eBay, (I bought one of these and they started to leak after a few months), I now have the ones from Pelicanparts w/o any issues

BestGear 08-10-2012 01:26 AM

I replaced my 10 year old rubber Porsche lines with Goodridge ones and the improvement in pedal feel is remarkable.

Obvioulsy no change in fade but the pedal feels much more "attached" to the pads, if that makes sense!

David

Mark_T 08-10-2012 04:26 PM

Yes, you need the 10 and 11mm flare wrenches. 11 for bleed nipples and 10 for the brake line fitting. Or the other way around but, whatever, you need both.

Unfortunately they come 10-12 and 9-11. I haven't seen a 10-11.

+1 on quality wrenches as the cheap ones will spread under load. I picked up a 5 piece set of Snap-on through Ebay for about a hundred bucks - worth every penny!