Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Hours to Replace A/C Evaporator

Hi everyone.

My A/C stopped cooling the car a month or two ago.

Today I brought ther car to a highly reputable A/C repair shop. The shop found the evaporator was leaking and told me it needed replacement.

The shop owner was honest enough to tell me that he had never replace one in a 986 before and suggested I take it to an independent shop or the dealer. So here's my question. Does anyone have a sense for how many hours of labor it takes to replace the A/C compressor?

If not, does anyone have any experience in replacing the heater core. I would guess they are in the same ball park given both require taking out the dashboard.

I appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #2

Hi Thom,
Looks like you're not that far from me. I have a family repair shop in Berkeley. I've replaced ac compressors and removed dashes to get to heater cores and ac evap cores many times, but the thing is I've never had to do those repairs on my own 986 or any other Boxster for that matter. I can look in our labor book tomorrow and find out how long each of those repairs usually takes for you. Atleast you'll have an idea of how much a shop might charge you.
bmfaze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

Thanks I'd appreciate any info you can share. I have a good sense of the cost of the parts so far.

Thom

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote