Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #1

online source for 02/MAF sensors

Was quoted these prices a few months ago:

O2 sensor (4 required) - original - $124.89
O2 sensor (4 required) - Bosch, 4-wire universal with wiring kit - $86.27

MAF (with e-accelerator/e-gas - option code 620) - $283.03
MAF (without e-accelerator/e-gas) - $247.91

http://www.********************************************************************.com

My question to those in the know is if the Bosch 4 wire universal sensors will work without problems or funky wiring requirements... any thoughts?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 AM   #2

96.5$ for Bosch O.E. Type 13806 with TAX

Dear Randall
I took your advice, and in sense of preventative maintenance, I changed all 4 sensors, then odometer reached 52 miles 2 weeks ago.
After hours of my research of best price, I found www.************************************************************ and bought 4 of the sensor with final price with taxes and free shipping $426.85. Then you also have to fill the rebate form, which gives your 10$ per each sensor back. So the final price is 96.5$ for the O.E. type 13806. Plus no problems with wiring, because to do that under the car is pretty difficult. Sensors themselves are very fragile; i was very scared to broke them. And you know Randall; your advice actually works, because the old ones were almost burn out. So thank you for advice.
Here is the rebate form for O2 Bosch sensors. I hope this will help you.
I am strongly suggest not to make a mess with wires under the non-comfortable space under the car and go with the O.E. type.
here is the link to 10$ rebate for each sensor
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Promotions/GasCard/
Porschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #3

The universal O2 sensors will work just as well as the ones specifically for the Boxster. They are identical sensors that just don't have the plug on the end. The only problem would be if your plug is damaged.

How to wire it properly:
The wire needs to be soldered and use a heat shrink jacket to cover it and make it water tight. Whatever you do, do not twist the wires together side-by-side or use crimping to connect the wires. The sensor actually "breathes" and cools itself through the gaps between the wire and the insulation so you don't want to block that with crimping or a huge knot of wire. I haven't used them on the Boxster yet, but they should be the same as the 928 with three wires, one black and two white. You mate the black to black on the plug and the white to white. It doesn't matter which white each white wire on the sensor is mated to, they're interchangeable.

All that said, if you can get the OEM type Porschev found for $10 more, I'd definitely do that instead of having to wire in the universal.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote