Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #1

New Glass Window Top

I found this place, other than Gahh, that makes the glass window convertible tops for Boxsters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Top-w-GLASS-window-97-02-German_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33652QQitemZ7997 970962QQrdZ1

aka

www.convertibletopsonline.com

Although their website sort of sucks right now.

Anyways, has anyone tried one of these? At $655 it seems like a really great deal. It says that it uses German canvas and is OEM quality. The plastic window on my 99' is on it's way out and I will probably have to replace it in the next 6-12 months. Just sewing in a new plastic window is $450 at the local upholstery place. It'd be nice to not have to do the chop anymore too.

I did a search and i read about some guys that have purchased plastic window tops for cheap through these guys and had a good experiences, but nothing about this glass window top (i think it just came out).

thoughts? opinons?

Larez

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:32 AM   #2

I haven't seen any, but would love to see it installed! Take some pics if you go for it, please.
bzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #3

Just got my new top done at GAHH - $1500 installed with a custom color - looks great and pleasant experience . Will post pictures soon.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #4

I got my new GAHH top w/ glass and 5% limo tint for around $1000 bucks. I didn't have the defroster hookup up because it needed an extra harness or something but I love it. Don't have any new big pics uploaded but here are some small ones of my car...

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #5

Porschekid, was that $1000 installed? If it was, that is a good deal.

Are any of you guys with the Gahh top having problems with the rear window separating from the top?

From another post I found:

"...I started raising and lowering the top, I noticed that there was an incredible amount of stress being put on the part of the top where it's connected to the bottom of the rear glass window. No sooner did I notice this, than I further noticed that the window was becoming separated from the top at that spot

GAHH told me they came to the conclusion that the tool they were using to seal the window to the top was defective, and they were having it machined. They are going to try to fix this for me, but I wanted to suggest to those of you who have purchased the GAHH top to keep a close eye on that area where the bottom of with window is sealed to the top. When I saw how much stress is being applied to the top when it's opened (due to the glass window,) I got the sinking feeling that it is inevitible that it's going to separate at some point.
"

I am concerned about getting a Gahh top because of that.

Larez2
Old 09-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Larez2,

I've had my GAHH glass window top since early May. I believe I purchased it not long after they became available. I've seen the same thread about the window problem. So far I haven't detected any problems with my top. I think I will send GAHH an e-mail and see if there was a particular batch with problems and try to find out if my top is included in that batch. If I find out any information or have any problems I will report them here.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:59 AM   #7

Hmm, this might be happening a little to the top of my glass window. I thought I was just seeing things but you may be right. I will have to monitor this. I'm pretty sure their tops come with a decent warranty anyway.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
"Hmm, this might be happening a little to the top of my glass window. I thought I was just seeing things but you may be right."

Porschekid,

What exactly are you seeing? When did you purchase your top?

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #9

The $625 glass window top on Ebay is distributed by a company called Convertible Tops Online out in CA (convertibletopsonline.com). I have called and talked to John @ CTO about it. They are German canvas, you can hook up the rear defrost if you have it, the top folds flat like the plastic top version. It uses the same hardware your top has now, etc...... There is also a company on Ebay called Cabrio World that has one for $925 or so but I haven't spoken to anyone there. I would love to hear if anyone has one installed from CTO as I am getting ready to get a new glass window top for my 99. Thanks
purplegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #10

The one from Cabrio World is made by GAHH. The other guys, PorscheKid, ddb, and others have that one. GAHH is based out of SoCal, they've had the glass window top out for a for a while. AFAIK, the one from Convertible Tops Online just came out. Convertible Tops Online is a division of Nachos Auto Upholstery, also based out of SoCal.

BTW, Convertible Tops Online quoted my $550 for installation.

These are the only 2 shops in the US that I know of who make the glass window top replacement for older Boxsters.

When the GAHH top first came out, you could get it for like $650, but then the price crept up to the $900's. I think the CTO top will increase in price as it becomes more established, but not as much as the GAHH. I also think the GAHH top will come down in price a bit ---- capitalism, gotta love it.

Larez2
Old 09-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #11

Thanks for the scoop. I live in FL so I have a few shops here that have been recommended for the install but I dont have a price yet. I'll throw the quote up here when I get it.

purplegator is offline   Reply With Quote