Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Need YOUR help! Alternator AND pulley bad at the same time? hmmm

My 02 boxster has been squeaking like mad while running and my mechanic told me it was the alternator pulley making noise. He also told me to replace the alternator because it was making some noise too.

Does it even make sense in terms of probability to have BOTH components going bad at the same time?

They tried to charge me $900 ($350 labor $550 parts) but I found the parts for $160-170. So overall it's going to cost a bit over 500... about to take it in soon.

What do you guys think?

FirstPorscheAt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

how many miles? i replaced my alternator myself ('01 @ 83k miles in 2010), my pulleys are doing fine (i assume you're talking about one of the other pulleys, unless you have an alternator with a clutch).
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Hmm what determines if my alternator has a clutch?

Unless they outright lied, I must have a clutch if they said "alternator pulley" right?

Thank you
FirstPorscheAt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
If your car has a manual transmission your alternator has a replaceable clutch pulley. This is the case for model year 2000 forward for the 986 cars. I'm not sure about 987 models.

My alternator clutch pulley failed and the alternator itself was just fine. Here is a link chronicling the replacement of my pulley:

Clicking Noise Solved (Alternator Pulley)

Best of luck,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote