Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Cursed SmartTop

So I got a SmartTop module because they look really great and would be super convenient, right? Yup. So the first time I use it, the convertible top snaps 2 pushrods. It wound up taking about $2,000 to put the top back together with new transmissions and everything.

Got the car back home, swapped the SmartTop back in again, and it works intermittently. Go back and forth with the vendor, and we agree I got the only SmartTop module ever made that has something wrong with it.

Vendor says "send it back, and I'll replace it." No problem. Took the module to the post office, got it all packaged up, dropped it off and sent it to Las Vegas.

Today I get a message from the vendor that essentially says the package appears to have been damaged, the part fell out, and essentially, no refund and they can't replace what they didn't receive.

I filed a claim for the purchase price plus the shipping of the SmartTop with USPS. In the end, I will probably be lucky to receive $50.

So let's see... about $2000 in damage. $360 for the part. No cool automatic top. Only misery and heartache.

Yeah, this is a pity party post. Sorry. I'm so upset I have to vent it someplace.

Next time I guess I'll just be content to keep my damned finger on the button, and keep the hand brake engaged. PITA, but whatever...:ah:

1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Rookie

Garage
I feel for you, I do. However its an easy mod to bypass the handbrake for a grand total of nothing spent. Just keep your speed below 25 when lowering or raising the top. Ive not forgot yet but I do have to hold the button as I work the top. Personally, I kinda like it that way, it reminds me to keep my speed down. Instructions are likely available for free, google it, its in the 101 projects book but its probably also available on the webz. IIRC its just a matter of bending one pin over on your stock relay and running a ground to another pin, piece of cake and took me about 15 minutes.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Yeah, I know of the freebie mod. And I have the 101 projects book, as well. What I really wanted was the one-touch up/down to match the windows. Holding buttons is for chumps. LOL. Well, apparently I'm the chump!
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
Old 07-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
There is a DIY here for one you build yourself, cost about $10-15 in parts. I built one and it works great
AutoTop DIY

or you could buy this one, built by one of the forum members
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51527-all-new-comfort-top.html

It also works great
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

Had a Smart Top in two cars, never a problem. Did what it said it would.

Sorry for your nightmare.

Reminds me of a Xmas card I sent last year, recipient got half, I got half back in a baggie. Curiously we each could tell who the other party was so an easy resend and a laugh together
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #6

I have a genuine Techart unit i got for my 03 . come to find out it only works on 97 to 99 cars . you can have it for 100 if you want . brand new never used . Techart sells these units for over 500 .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Thanks, guys.

For the record, I understand these modules are typically very reliable. In my case, I either received a cursed module, or the electronics of my car will only operate intermittently. Since the top goes up and down exactly as advertised with the stock relay, I tend to rule the car out.

At any rate, I'll try and decide what to do next. The best part of the SmartTop mod (to me) is the one-touch up/down feature. It makes the top operate exactly like the windows. That's how it should have been from the factory (but I understand why it wasn't... you have to manufacture for the idiots who would otherwise chop their body parts off in the top.) That's why I like this mod better than the "freebie" and am willing to pay a bit for it.

Unfortunately in my case, this just did not work out and turned into a fiasco.

I'm in no way disparaging the seller or the product. This just wound up being a cursed, and very expensive, problem for me.