Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #1

Cheaper Lower Control Arms

So I have read plenty of discussions about the cheap lower control arms on EBay and whatnot, as well as the re-manufactured ones from Vertex Auto. I have already gotten re-manufactured rear track arms from Vertex and they were fantastic.

However! I was looking through RockAuto.com selecting some parts for my Subaru Legacy rally car and decided to pop over to the Boxster section and was surprised to see the Lower Control Arms being sold for $85 from a company called Uro (More Information for ÜRO PARTS 99634105316). The other set were $165 for Beck/Arnley control arms....

Did a quick search, and lots of discussions on the water pumps from RockAuto, but nothing on the control arms. Anyone used the $85 ones before? I'm tempted to get a full set of them and new tie rods soon.

MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

If they stand behind the 24 months unlimited miles I can't see how you could lose except for more disassemble / reassemble. It certainly sounds like they do their diligence in development.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
2006 987

Garage
I'm also curious since I have this repair coming up
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

I bought two lower control arms for a total of $165 on ebay with shipping included.

I had them installed more than 2 months ago and since then have tracked my car and attended autocross events and installed lowering springs.

So far so good.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

I am not sure about the quality of the arms but I know Pelican sells parts from the Uro company on their site so they can't be that bad. I was thinking they were an OEM supplier of some parts. I think the coolant hoses I replaced on my car were Uro branded granted that does not mean the control arms are good/bad. FWIW I have no problem putting non porsche branded and/or OEM parts on my car. I recently replaced all the brake pads and rotors on my with what some would consider to be "generic" brand rotors. We'll see how long they last but the information I found on the internet revealed that the generic brand rotor manufacturer also makes rotors for several other brands that are relabeled and upsold at a higher cost.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #6

I've had the clunking sound so I'm planning on doing the lower rear control arms as well this winter...
Are the $85 ones sold as a pair or is that the price each? I would assume each, but I thought I'd ask since you've already bought.
Thanks
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Check out Benzworld if you want to find out about URO parts. While places like Pelican and Autohauz do sell them, personally I'd stay far far away from that brand.

U Replace Often, as is said. There's a reason why they're cheap.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
If they stand behind the 24 months unlimited miles I can't see how you could lose except for more disassemble / reassemble. It certainly sounds like they do their diligence in development.
There's the 2 key issues ! I have 14,K miles on my URO rear control arms & the right side central bushing is slipping out the top of the arm. It slipped up 1/4" & contacted the trailing arm & the 2 arms have been grinding on each other enough to require replacement of the trailing arm also. I contacted Pelican who I bought them from & was told the URO arms have a 1 year warranty & I should contact the sales dept to buy replacements.
I will be replaceing them with TRW arms.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #9

URO, or the "Ultimate Reliable Organization" is a conglomerate out of Kolkata, West Bengal, India, not far from Bangladesh; they produce everything from cement and bicycles to complete cars. If you have never heard of their cars, you know why you wish you never heard of their replacement parts................
Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
There's the 2 key issues ! I have 14,K miles on my URO rear control arms & the right side central bushing is slipping out the top of the arm. It slipped up 1/4" & contacted the trailing arm & the 2 arms have been grinding on each other enough to require replacement of the trailing arm also. I contacted Pelican who I bought them from & was told the URO arms have a 1 year warranty & I should contact the sales dept to buy replacements.
Well then there you go, if they get bad shortly after warranty then there is no savings, same reason I used to buy Johnson & Murphy shoes.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
BY,

Last night I got under my car to check the front suspension and noticed that the lower control arms are manufactured by TRW, this component has never been replaced before and is the way it came from the factory.

BTW, I wanted to thank you for the time you dedicated during my visit to your shop last week, this was the first first time I had the opportunity to closely inspect the internal components of a fully disassembled Porsche flat 6 engine and it was very interesting indeed.

Also it was nice to see a nicely organized and clean shop, it should be a motivation to do something similar to the mess I have on my garage, my wife will be much happier...

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #12

TRW are a Porsche supplier out of the Czech Republic - they reliably supply parts to most of the European brands and have a huge manufacturing complex still under construction if I remember correctly.
I fitted their steering arms to my car a few months ago - fit, finish etc looked on par with the originals and came with the correct Porsche part number.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #13

TRW make lower arms and other parts for Porsche. so the porsche part and TRW are identical and the same part, made in the same factory.

My local Porsche mechanic found in recent years, the much cheaper 'TRW' part was impossible to buy, yet, the identical 'porsche' part was in stock for twice the price.

He suspected that Porsche had too many in stock and was putting pressure on TRW not to sell lower arms direct.

But he is finding now that after a couple of years of that, TRW are starting to sell again
Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #14

I think I have some good condition lower arms that I took off my 996 when upgrading to GT3 parts. PM if interested.
stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #15

I purchased two URO control arms form my lps, one this past Aug. the other in Oct. I replaced both this past month, because the rubber at the ball joint was cracked and completely destroyed. Luckily, they were under warranty, but we'll see how long these last.

aztecw is offline   Reply With Quote