Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

For the few of us with a Tiptronic

Recently had some trouble with my Tiptronic and there isn't a lot of information on the web regarding this topic (at least that I could find). I guess due to the fact there aren't very many Tiptronics out there. For years I have been plagued with the dreaded Neutral saftey/multi-function switch. When I would put the car in park-- every now and then the indicator on the dash would flash or show it was in reverse. The car is actually in park however the computer thinks the car is in reverse. This leads to having to put the car into Neutral in order to start the car and over the years has become more and more frequent. I had the dealer look at it years ago and asked if it was possible that the cable be adjusted to fix the problem. They told me that it could not because it was shifting through the gears on the transmission just fine and the switch would need to be replaced. Due the cost of the part and the labor involved in changing it I have just dealt with putting the car into neutral in order to start it over the years.

So the fun begins.... last week I pulled into my parking space, shifted the car into park---I could immediately feel that there was absolutely no resistance in the shifter and the car would not shift out of drive. I thought the cable or shifter had broken, so I pulled apart the center console and began to diagnose- the shifter and cable were fine--This led me to the rear of the car where I found that the linkage arm/rod that attaches to the shift arm on the side of the transmission had become disconnected. Upon further inspection the plastic socket style connector had cracked and came off the end of the linkage rod. The linkage rod is part #8 in the diagram below.
01.gif
I called the dealer and was informed it is sold as one peace (#8) and a special order item not stocked. Because Porsche does not sell just the end socket and my car was out of commission, I used some JB weld epoxy to attach the socket back onto the linkage rod. (I love this stuff) $5 later and my car was fixed. Warning this is a very tight fit because of the way the exhaust is routed next to the transmission, for a while I thought I would have to remove exhaust to perform the repair but eventually I was able to squeeze in to be able replace the linkage rod.

Well when I went back to reattach the cable to the shifter (I had removed this during my diagnosis) I had to readjust it so that it would shift through all the gears. This is done on part number #21. My first attempt led to the indicator blinking when it was in drive, another try led to park blinking. I then left the shifter in reverse while I attached the cable.....Bingo! It now shifts through all the gears and I have no more problems with the stupid indicator flashing. So moral of the story...If you guys have problems with this switch there is no need to replace it, just readjust the cable. My theory is that the cable stretches over time and gets a little out of spec. I wish I would have tried adjusting this years ago instead of blindly believing the dealership.

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
Thanks for info.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #3

Is part #21 adjusted from underneath the car, or do you have to take out the shifter and do it from inside of the car?

Good info, by the way.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

It is inside the car you just have to remove the console.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #5

Garage
I am trying to replace the ebrake switch the little $6 part that when it breaks the top doesn't go up and down. I have a tiptronic and am trying to figure out how to get the shifter know off so I can take out the console to get to the ebrake switch and replace it. I have the directions for the std trans but not for the tip. Can you give me any advice?
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I am trying to replace the ebrake switch the little $6 part that when it breaks the top doesn't go up and down. I have a tiptronic and am trying to figure out how to get the shifter know off so I can take out the console to get to the ebrake switch and replace it. I have the directions for the std trans but not for the tip. Can you give me any advice?
Mike, not sure how much that switch is, but if it is substantial you may want to think about putting that money toward the aftermarket relay that allows you to raise and lower the top without stopping and using the ebrake. I have that on mine and it sure is nice in sudden rainstorms.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Nice info, thanks!
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #8

Garage
top e brake swithc

I found instructions on how to get tiptronic shift knob off was quite easy, replaced $6 switch and top works fine now. Want to get smart top relay eventually but since she got towed yesterday smart top is going to have to wait. it was the switch under the console triggers dash light when ebrake is on.
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #9

Garage
Many thanks

I was pulling out of a parking space at a local supermarket yesterday, put the car into reverse and found I was still going forward. The shift was very light so I realised that something had become disconnected. I managed to get home without needing reverse and was about to pull the shifter apart when I thought to myself - I am sure someone else has had this problem, let's Google it first ... low and behold I came across this post.

I climbed under the car first thing this morning and sure enough the plastic cap had broken off the linkage. Phoned my local Porsche dealer and lucky for me they had one in stock. It was bit fiddly and I struggled to get the new plastic cap on the ball joint but managed in the end. Car fixed again

Many thanks to boxster7614 for taking the time to publish this post. Without it I would have spent many more hours pulling the shifter apart before I checked the back of the car. The diagram was also really useful as I was able to point the spares chappie directly at the part I needed.