Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
Buying a Boxter

Ladies and gentlemen, I am completely new here and so new to Boxters that I don't even own one yet. I am 63 years old and basically want a fun car to run around in, not race. However, I do like a long drive on a challenging road!! I currently own a 96 Celica GT convertable and want to move up to something with more power.. So the Boxter is my choice and I have $10-12K to spend on an entry level car. I have been reading and comparing various cars for a long time and finally settled on a Boxster. I have read most everything I can find and have discovered a lot that I need to be aware of. With my price range I think I'm basically looking at a 1999-2002 with around 75k - 125K miles. There are some 2003's in my range but I may not even be looking in the right places. I know the advantages of the bigger engine in 2000 and the glass window in 2003. Can I get a pre 2000 and be safe with the smaller problem prone 2.5? Does it make that much difference especially in a higher mileage car that has most of the bugs worked out. So if you have the time please help me avoid any catastrophes by telling me what you would look for. Thanks

Pastor T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #2

Garage
I just bought my 01 S with 64K miles, 2 owners for $13,750. It is in immaculate condition. Now, I looked at cars from $8000 to $20,000 and everything in between. You just have to be patient. I followed Craigs List around the country as well as cars.com and autotrader. If you can travel to the right car, you have more choices. I liked the 2.5L cars but I am glad that I got an S. What ever car you find, make sure there is some service history and get a PPI to find any hidden problems. Find a local independent Porsche shop and go talk to them. They may also know of some local cars that might be for sale plus you have the benefit of knowing how they were serviced. There are lots of well cared for cars out there, but there are plenty that are not. You just have to keep looking. Once you find the "right one" you will be glad that you took your time. I'm 50 and had the same rough budget that you have, although I was willing to go to $15K. The original asking price of mine was around $18K so don't be afraid to look at those above your range. Like I said, there are lots of Boxsters out there so you have room to negotiate!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #3

Garage
Go for it Pastor T
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

Garage
[QUOTE=Pastor T;298039]Ladies and gentlemen, I am completely new here and so new to Boxters that I don't even own one yet. I am 63 years old and basically want a fun car to run around in, not race.

Pastor Pastor Pastor, It's a BOXSTER, but having severely reprimanded you for that good luck in your search.

I am your vintage and purchased a 2001S some four and a half years ago. Always had WRX's and turbo Liberty's and raced Datsun 510's in another era. I love good cars and the Boxster is a Great car..... pluses include.. if you get away for weekends, you have plenty of storage.

They are beautiful to drive. If you get a good one from the start with an inspection by a good independent from the seller and a reputable Porsche dealer/workshop you should be ok.

There is a lot of talk around the forums regarding the Intermediate Shaft Bearing. (Known as IMS)
If the history does not include it having been upgraded, it is probably a good idea to factor that price into what you end up purchasing. With the new replacement bearing fitted it wont (shouldn't) ever have the problem.

as the early cars get older and get more K's or in your case Miles on the clock, the chances of it failing increase. You may never have a problem, but if it does go then you are normally up for a new motor. No warning and no real rhyme nor reason for it going, lots of thoughts re lack of use and not driving it hard enough, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure. It just means if it hasn't been modified with the new bearing you always feel like you are driving a possible time bomb. That to me is the only major drama they have.

Nothing nicer to have the roof down on a nice day, and listening to that vibrant exhaust as you put your foot down. Being my vintage, put on some Creedence, Eagles, or America turn it up a tad and enjoy yourself.

If you treat it well and keep the services up (they do like good oil so don't scrimp on that) you should be ok.

They tend to be expensive at times for servicing and some parts are dear.

But you will have something that most others don't, but wish they did have.....
A PORSCHE badge on the front.

Good luck with it, and hope to see you posting here in the not too distant future, telling us about your new ride.

P.S. if your finances can afford it go for the S.

Last edited by Olin; 07-18-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: had to remove a couple of double typed words
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

Garage
Hello,
I'm 53 & I just bought my Boxster in February of this year & love it, my 3rd Porsche. Hope your search works out well for you as it seems to have for me so far. I got a sweet looking red 2001 & find every excuse I can to drive it.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I just bought my 01 S with 64K miles, 2 owners for $13,750. It is in immaculate condition. Now, I looked at cars from $8000 to $20,000 and everything in between. You just have to be patient. I followed Craigs List around the country as well as cars.com and autotrader. If you can travel to the right car, you have more choices. I liked the 2.5L cars but I am glad that I got an S. What ever car you find, make sure there is some service history and get a PPI to find any hidden problems. Find a local independent Porsche shop and go talk to them. They may also know of some local cars that might be for sale plus you have the benefit of knowing how they were serviced. There are lots of well cared for cars out there, but there are plenty that are not. You just have to keep looking. Once you find the "right one" you will be glad that you took your time. I'm 50 and had the same rough budget that you have, although I was willing to go to $15K. The original asking price of mine was around $18K so don't be afraid to look at those above your range. Like I said, there are lots of Boxsters out there so you have room to negotiate!
Got my 2001 S w/55k mi in May for $14.5k, listed privately at $15K online Auto Trader I think.

Most important thing is a good regular maintenance schedule and records to prove it.

Also if the car is leaking anything at all on the ground you should pass on it.
I test drove a 2.7 at the dealer before the S and the S is just better in that it has more punch and with the 3 radiators(more cooling is better) and bigger disk brakes its just a slightly better car.

There are enough around and if a suitable one does not show up in your area wait a week and check again.

The one I got in CA had received calls from folks as far away as NY. You should decide on a color and model and wait for it.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Top down

Garage
Hey all; Pastor T here. I found my Boxster. I paid $10,500 for a 2000 midnight blue with gray interior and blue top. Perfect condition, 2 owner, not a scratch or flaw anywhere. The guy cried when I pulled away from his driveway as he and his wife stood there holding hands. Due to "internal Engine Failure" the engine was changed in September of 2003 @ 43K miles. So the car has 86K and the engine 43K. I have all the dealer paperwork on the work. I believe all my IMS worries are over. Please let me know if you think I am too optimistic. Thanks for all your help and counsel on my purchase. Pastor T
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
Hey all; Pastor T here. I found my Boxster. I paid $10,500 for a 2000 midnight blue with gray interior and blue top. Perfect condition, 2 owner, not a scratch or flaw anywhere. The guy cried when I pulled away from his driveway as he and his wife stood there holding hands. Due to "internal Engine Failure" the engine was changed in September of 2003 @ 43K miles. So the car has 86K and the engine 43K. I have all the dealer paperwork on the work. I believe all my IMS worries are over. Please let me know if you think I am too optimistic. Thanks for all your help and counsel on my purchase. Pastor T
Congratulations on your new vehicle. Not to "take the wind out of your sails", but failure of the intermediate shaft bearing is presumed to be an inherent flaw in the design of the M96 boxster engine. Having said that, just because your vehicle has a replacement engine, doesn't mean that it can't fall victim to IMS failure as well . Therefore, it's important to consider doing the IMSB retro fit procedure on your new motor in order to preempt a subsequent failure .
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #9

Garage
Congrats as well! I would agree with Johnny that your IMS is still an issue unless of course the PO had it upgraded. Still, it sounds like you got an excellent car for a great price! Looking forward to pictures! Enjoy!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
DIY extremist

I would advise to get the "S" model, which starts in 2000 MY. Every Boxster owner I've talked to has wanted more power, even if they think it's adequate at time of purchase. Fact is, the Boxster chassis is severely underpowered even with the larger motors and you'll know it once you start driving hard/tracking the car. There are some nasty reliability issues with 2.5 motors, but the ones that were going to be bad are mostly dead now anyway.

Much cheaper to get the better baseline motor than try to get there later on with upgrades, plus the suspension, cooling system, and brakes are worlds better. Especially out in Cali, where you can really drive the thing.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #11

Garage
congrats on your purchase Pastor T, and welcome.. some here could do with spiritual guidance..

on spiritual guidance.. what Johnny Danger sans monkey said !... do think about the IMS or even the IMS Guardian as a stop gap.

by the way, which part of cali ? there's some good roads around there!
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Top down

Garage
So BruceH; do you think that since the engine was replaced in September 2003 it would have had the upgraded IMS. Surely by that date the problem would have been quite apparent to Porsche and I can't imagine them putting a problem back into the car. What do your think? Pastor T
Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #13

Garage
No I do not think it was upgraded. From my understanding, and I am sure the experts will chime in, but Porsche continued the design for several more years. You need to look at Flat 6 innovations or LN engineering. My guess is you do not have an upgraded IMS bearing.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
So BruceH; do you think that since the engine was replaced in September 2003 it would have had the upgraded IMS. Surely by that date the problem would have been quite apparent to Porsche and I can't imagine them putting a problem back into the car. What do your think? Pastor T
To date, Porsche has done nothing to correct the problem on the M96 engine. In fact, they continue to disavow any knowledge or responsibility in the matter .
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #15

Garage
If you are worried about it, you can always get the IMS guardian or even something as simple as a magnetic oil drain plug(probably my option). What ever you do, don't let this stop you from enjoying your new purchase!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
congrats on your purchase Pastor T, and welcome.. some here could do with spiritual guidance..

on spiritual guidance.. what Johnny Danger sans monkey said !... do think about the IMS or even the IMS Guardian as a stop gap.

by the way, which part of cali ? there's some good roads around there!
By the way, I traded the monkey in for goldfish today. I grew annoyed with having to share the bathroom !
Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #17

Posted in error

Last edited by Skrapmot; 08-13-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
Top down

Garage
Bruce Wayne;
I live in Northern (Sacramento) Cali. 1 hour West to all the great roads by the coast through the redwoods and around the Bay Area. 1 Hour East I get the entire Sierra mountain range. It is truly heaven on earth to me. An endless supply of curvy, twisty beautiful roads that stretch on endlessly through the most beautiful country in all God's creation. If a person is close enough, yet has never been here, Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe etc. ect., you owe yourself a road trip.
Pastor T
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #19

Garage
I'm jealous! I'm actually in the Sacramento area today, sitting at a Starbucks in Newark. I'm a pilot so I get around. You guys that live near mountains,the coast and temperate climates are very fortunate! The temp is perfect here right now. I am not looking forward to going back to the Texas heat this evening.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights