986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Water pump question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36377-water-pump-question.html)

KASHI619 07-16-2012 07:23 PM

Water pump question

Hello all,
I am a brand new owner of a 68k mile 99 boxster. It had been making a squealing noise every 3rd or 4th time I started the car. But it was only for a second and just when starting. I figured a belt or pully was going bad. Well tonight I noticed what looks like a very small amount of coolant right behind my passenger rear wheel. Its pretty dark and I don't have a flashlight but I assume I'm going to need a water pump. And chances are that's was what was causing the noise. Does anyone know if this is a difficult job? Also what else should I replace while I am in there? Drive belt? I work for a non-Porsche dealer so I am hopping one of the master techs at work can handel the job. So for those of you that have dealt with this before any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

oc-boxster 07-16-2012 07:48 PM

If you are changing the water pump it's a good time
To change the thermostat to a low temp 160 degree thermostat and also check your front engine mount for cracks or wear as its an easy swap while the water pump hoses are down..also a good time to change the coolant if it's old, also check your overflow tank in the trunk as they are prone to cracking and leaking and may as well get a new coolant cap while your at it.

BerneseMtnDog 07-16-2012 08:08 PM

I bought a vacuum bleed tool when I replaced my pump and fluid as it can be tricky to fully purge the system of air. I also agree about the mount. It's much easier to do both the pump and motor mount together and if yours is original it should be replaced.

Steve

Mark_T 07-17-2012 10:54 AM

+1 on the vacuum bleed tool - it really makes the whole job quite simple.

Do pump, thermostat, motor mount all together - agreed.

Your call on spending the extra money on a low temp thermo. That debate's been covered a few times and there's good arguments on both sides

san rensho 07-17-2012 12:14 PM

First, make sure its the WP. Take the belt off the motor and check for play or roughness in the WP pulley and then verify visually its leaking. Many other causes for coolant leaks, including a leaking coolant tank.

jcb986 07-17-2012 12:20 PM

Yeah, I would replace the belt, it's $20 item. As above remove the belt, start the engine and run for a minute and see if it squeals. Check the fluid tank for leaks. Since yours is a 99 I would go ahead and replace the water pump, but since you live in Ohio I would leave the OEM temp thermostat in.:cheers:

KASHI619 07-17-2012 06:13 PM

Well I didn't have the chance to look at the car today. But I'm beginning to think its something other than the WP. I drove it to work and back and it didn't leak at all. And I think the noise is something else as well. Its just very hard to pin point the cause of the noise b/c it only happens every 3or4 starts and it only lasts a second or two. And I think if it was the water pump or some pully it would happen more often than when starting. I appreciate all the great advice! This is a very welcoming forum and community.

thstone 07-17-2012 06:25 PM

The "good" news is that its not likely to get better on its own and as it happens more frequently (and for a longer duration) it will be easier to find the cause.

But to be honest, I'm not sure that is going to make you feel any better. :D

Spinnaker 07-17-2012 06:44 PM

My best guess would be the Bendix drive on the starter. It has happened to others here on the forum. When it gets dry on lube, it makes a squealing noise when you hit the starter.

KASHI619 08-03-2012 08:33 PM

So I just officially paid for my first Porsche! I am truly in love! My father owned car dealerships and I have personally been in the business for 15 years. And I have driven almost every car under $100k. And I can honestly say this is the all around most enjoyable car I have driven. I can drive cars for a few weeks/months until they sell. But with this car I spent 3 weeks driving it and just had to buy it,
I want to thank you all....it was the starter(not the water pump). It was a quick easy DIY hour project that cost me $180. Not the car is perfect(except an airbag light).I want to thank everyone for the intelligent posts and all the advise. What a great group of people!! I hope you are all enjoying your cars as much as me!

clickman 08-03-2012 09:48 PM

To the OP, if your car is a 99 and the water pump has never been changed, do it now. They're plastic and time in service, not mileage, is the critical factor. And if it blows, imagine trying to get all the little pieces out of your engine and coolant system. Small bits in the tiny head passages = cracked head. No thanks.

Replace the pump, your front motor mount is also likely due, and it's worth it to do the 160 thermo at the same time. And the belt for sure if it's been a while.

I also replaced the smaller oil cooler on my base Boxster for the larger S unit.

Those that recommend the venturi vacuum system are right; it makes the coolant replacement a breeze.