986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What To Look For In a PPI? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36346-what-look-ppi.html)

LightngSVT 07-14-2012 06:47 AM

What To Look For In a PPI?

SO I have a deposit on an 07 Boxster S at a BMW, sale is contingent on it passing a PPI at a Porsche dealer. Its local so I will be arranging it and they will drop the car off. What should I expected to pay for the PPI? What should I specifically be looking for or asking about or making sure they check? I remember reading something about a DME scan? Will they generally road test the car as part of the PPI? I realize this car is a 987, not a 986 but this forums seems to have the most traffic and seems the most helpful.

The is in excellent condition and feels very tight and seems to run well. The car has a clean Carfax report, but the only thing that isnt ideal is its had 3 owners in 5 years. But there are 2 things that may or may not be concerns:

1. there is a vibration about about 20mph, it seems to be coming form the front end. At highway speeds you can actually see a very slight vibration in the steering wheel. Im assuming its probably a tire balance issue but are there any areas that are prone to damage or failure that could cause this?

2. The shifter feels a bit sloppy. Well sloppy might be a bit much but it has a bit of a loose feel to it. I think I remember other cars Ive tested as having a fairly tight shifter, though most have been 5 speed cars not 6 speeds.

LightngSVT 07-14-2012 07:40 AM

Update: Talked to the dealer and they've ordered a new wheel, seems one of the front wheels is bent and the sales guy didnt know that when we test drove the car. So we'll see.

thstone 07-14-2012 07:18 PM

I had my PPI done at Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena, CA. They did a very thorough visual inspection of every part of the car (including under the car while up on a lift), tested each feature to ensure proper operation (lights, wipers, etc), test drove the car, and they checked for any codes using the Porsche factory tester.

When I picked up the car, the Porsche technician walked me through the report and showed me each and every item that he had noted in the report so I knew exactly what he was talking about and had an opportunity to ask questions about each item (like is fixing this item really necessary or can I live with it? and if I did want to fix it, about how much would it cost?).

I paid $375 for this service. It took about an hour for the tech to perform the PPI and another 30 mins for the tech to walk me through the report.

Best $375 and 90 minutes that I've ever spent and worth every penny (and minute).

LightngSVT 07-14-2012 08:30 PM

Wow, $375? Well I guess thts cheap insurance compared to a $20k engine or other multi-thousand dollar repair. Did you also get a DME report?

thstone 07-14-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightngSVT (Post 297652)
Wow, $375? Well I guess thts cheap insurance compared to a $20k engine or other multi-thousand dollar repair. Did you also get a DME report?

Checking for engine codes using the factory tester = DME report. Same thing.

LightngSVT 07-15-2012 06:47 AM

Gotcha, thanks.

Burg Boxster 07-15-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 297653)
Checking for engine codes using the factory tester = DME report. Same thing.

Not 100% complete as engine codes will come up w/ a standard OBDII code reader. Factory tester, PIWIS, gets you full system diagnostics (including engine codes) with a full read of DME including a check for over-revs, aka $$ shifts. Ranges are 1 thru 6 and report will show the actual # of engine ignitions that occurred in each range and latest engine hour over-revs occurred w/in each. Higher range = more damage done. It will also give you cumulative hours on engine w/ current DME. Compare this to total mileage seeing if accurate... most cars average ~ 25 miles per engine hour. So a car w/ 800 engine hours should have ~ 20,000 miles. This also gives an indication as to how vehicle was driven overall. Side note: PIWIS system no longer provides an actual DME printout w/ over-revs but ask technician to take screen shots (pictures) of report so you have for review.

As for over-revs... generally speaking, Porsche dealers will not certify any cars w/ series 4 or above over-revs. They will try to deny warranty coverages on motors with them too. Personally, no questions asked I would walk on any car w/ range 4 or above (particularly if done in recent engine hours as this would indicate salesman/test drives flogging the motor hard before being fully warmed up :eek:) and would think hard w/ any range 3. Why? There are way too many good specimen vehicles out there so be patient and find the best one for you.

Good luck :)

LightngSVT 07-15-2012 07:51 AM

Did some googling on the DME, good info. Thanks Burg Boxster, great post. I would imagine over rev's are a real possibility given the car Im looking at is a BMW dealership and the salesmen, porters, etc probably dont drive them to often, although they do have 5 in stock currently.