Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #1

2001 free wheeling alternator pulley

For those that have changed the alternator pulley, if you can help.
I cracked open the panel behind the seats to examine the belt and pulleys.
The alternator has a free wheeling pulley. if I grab the pulley and twist it, should I be able to "ratchet" the alternator in one direction or is the mechanism work only at high RPM? On my car, the alternator shaft appears to be locked to the pulley.

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

OK, if you have the free wheeling alternator, it should look like this:

The non free wheeling alternator should look like this:

If you have the free wheeling type, you will need this tool to remove the pulley:

Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

yes, the alternator pulley looks like the one with the cover. after the cover's removed, I see two spline features consistent with the tool photo.
I've grabbed the pulley and twisted it cw and ccw as hard as I'm able to. could not feel the one way slip clutch. the alternator shaft moved with the cw/ccw rotation. I've taken a flat screw driver to hold the shaft (inner spline) and tried to rotate the pulley CCW. I could not.
there's a little "tic" sound whenever I change the rotation of the pulley.
I suspect the clutch is fried.
I browsed the web and found some Utube video where if the slip clutch is frozen, the tensioner roller vibrates. maybe this is where my 1K to 2K noise is coming from.
??? should I be able to rotate the pulley CCW and get the pulley to free wheel?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

viewing some U-tube video on alternator pulley, I should be able to counter clockwise rotate the pulley and get the pulley to free wheel. no can't do. -> so new pulley it is.
at the same time, I figure why not replace the idler rollers.
started on the top idler. the long bolt hits the body panel that has the shift linkage cable before I can fully pull out the bolt. Is there a trick to taking the bolt out? my front engine mount was replaced few years back and so I'm not expecting it to be bad and sagging the front of the engine.
thanks in advance

Last edited by sb01box; 07-15-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: roller in place of pulley