Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

Garage
cleaning or replacing 99' Boxster speedometer cluster (backgrounds only)

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic covering the speedometer and other gauges so I can clean the marks on the inside? (as seen in the photo above).

Also, would it be possible to replace the backgrounds of the gauges and speedometer to look more like this?

Thanks,

Colby

99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

yes and yes

To remove and disassemble -
Instrument Cluster

Make sure you put lots of towels around your dash as it will tend to scratch or damage your dash surround when you move the cluster around

To get the new silver/aluminum backgrounds, that are great quality and not just thin tape type, try NR Auto - From Porsche body kits to Mercedes-Benz body kits ... they have most every Porsche model there. I got a set for my 2001 Boxster years ago and was very pleased, about to get another set for my new MY2000 (which is very rare as the 2000 had gauge faces that were specific only to that year)
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Wanna trade? I have the S model silver gauges and find myself more partial to the black.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

Garage
@Leeper thank you so much!

@oc-boxster lol, I'd be happy to trade...
99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #5

OC - what year is your car? there are several different models of dash faces... it makes a huge difference in both redlines as well as rear connectors for the dash itself. Should it be for a MY2000 I'd be very interested if the OP is not.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 AM   #6

I've got components of several clusters bot white and silver gauges yet I've ended up back to black every time. The main reason is that for some reason on all the non-black clusters that back-lit area has been very hard to see at night. I tried LED's and although they look good need to be a full brightness which is distracting on the digital readouts.

Chris