986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Where does Bose rear speaker plug in? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36316-where-does-bose-rear-speaker-plug.html)

Coffinhunter 07-11-2012 03:12 PM

Where does Bose rear speaker plug in?

I removed the rear shelf unit and it was not plugged into anything. No wonder I wasn't getting any sound. The plug is on the passenger side, but I can't find where the connector fits in.

Help?!

ppbon 07-11-2012 03:14 PM

The connector is hard to see ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffinhunter (Post 297301)
I removed the rear shelf unit and it was not plugged into anything. No wonder I wasn't getting any sound. The plug is on the passenger side, but I can't find where the connector fits in.

Help?!

... but it should be mounted right on the roll bar, on the passenger's side.
It's black, and against the black roll bar in the dark it's hard to find.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Coffinhunter 07-11-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppbon (Post 297302)
... but it should be mounted right on the roll bar, on the passenger's side.
It's black, and against the black roll bar in the dark it's hard to find.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Thanks!!! I found it, and now I have rear speakers. Thanks!!!!!

gomarlins3 07-11-2012 06:43 PM

Do all Boxsters come with that plug already installed or did the early models needs to have rear speakers to have the wiring installed by the factory?

mcomet 07-11-2012 09:20 PM

Hey can you post a pic of where you found all this...would love to check myself...

Coffinhunter 07-12-2012 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcomet (Post 297325)
Hey can you post a pic of where you found all this...would love to check myself...

I can't get a pic, it is in a place that at least I couldn't see. The wire harness comes out of the shelf speaker system on the passenger side.

The plug that the speaker wire/connector goes into is down low on the roll bar, and faces the back of the car.

The only way I could get to it was by putting the top up into service mode. Then you have to "see" it with your hands. There is just enough of the speaker wire to reach the plug. It goes in easy enough once you find it.

mcomet 07-12-2012 05:40 AM

So now that it is plugged in are you getting full sound out of the rear or just a low end bass sound?

sb01box 07-13-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcomet (Post 297325)

If you are still looking for photo,
here's a pic of the connector(s). my car is 01. the black vertical pipe is the rollbar behind the passenger's right shoulder. the black cable and the floating black connector is connected to the speakers in the "storage box". the connector attached to the car harness is anchored to somewhere at the base of the rollbar.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1342230666.jpg

Neekk1 07-13-2012 06:51 PM

So if mine does not have a shelf there do I have the plug ? Do all boxsters have the plug ? I have a 2001

Coffinhunter 07-14-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcomet (Post 297339)
So now that it is plugged in are you getting full sound out of the rear or just a low end bass sound?

I'm getting full sound. It is not like the fronts. The speakers are obviously smaller and designed to "fill" the area.

986_inquiry 07-14-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffinhunter (Post 297592)
I'm getting full sound. It is not like the fronts. The speakers are obviously smaller and designed to "fill" the area.

wish someone made a speaker upgrade from the leather bag storage compartment to a rear speaker kit.

I found this on ebay
Porsche Boxster Rear Speaker Kit 1997 - 2009 Upgrade

but it's just two aftermarket speakers, you have to have the rear speaker compartment already. $260+ for two 3.5" speakers.... oh and a wire, don't want to forget about that wire.....

maybe I'll just make my own, this guy made a custom speaker enclosure out of fiberglass and it came with a cute blonde :D
VWVortex.com - D.I.Y. Fiberglass sub enclosure made easy

here's one someone made for his boxster
Subwoofer solution for Boxster? - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

actually... seeing that makes me wonder if maybe some of those underseat 8" subwoofers like the Kenwood KSC-SW01

here's a video of it under a seat, looks small enough to fit in our rear storage compartments
Kenwood KSC-SW01 - YouTube

or this, which appears to be under the seats of a 911
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/34394-nice-little-drop-8-sub-box-kicker-10-tcvt8.html

this guy put 8" subs in his doors, but he also added about 100 lbs of dynamat , speakers and amplifier, not something I'd really wanna do
New Stereo/Nav, Amp, Speakers, Door Subs - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

I'm more of the "good enough" sound camp, I'm not willing to sacrifice performance for a few more decibels, but anything would be better than the 90's factory speakers

Drphil 10-24-2017 09:36 AM

rear speakers

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomarlins3 (Post 297316)
Do all Boxsters come with that plug already installed or did the early models needs to have rear speakers to have the wiring installed by the factory?

this was never answered , so I am wondering did the 97-99 box have this plug prewired for the optional addition?
My 2000S had one, so I am hoping that my 97 has this too.

?- yes I can check when I get home tonight - but was hoping someone could tell me so that I know if I can purchase the one I found on flea-bay.

m332is 10-24-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drphil (Post 553353)
this was never answered , so I am wondering did the 97-99 box have this plug prewired for the optional addition?
My 2000S had one, so I am hoping that my 97 has this too.

?- yes I can check when I get home tonight - but was hoping someone could tell me so that I know if I can purchase the one I found on flea-bay.

On my 2001 S, it didn't have rear speakers and as far as I could find, I had no rear wires from the stereo either. I bought the rear speaker kit on Ebay and had to run the wires. BTW, the speakers weren't great and I ended up replacing them 1-2 years later. Also later added a new head unit that powered the rear speakers and that made a huge difference (as would have the amp from a 911) as the stock 986 amp only powers the fronts.