Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Diy rms/ims ???

I've been thinking of replacing my own RMS and upgrading the IMS. I wanted to see how doable this would be (in my garage on the floor). I have worked on Porsches since the 80's so I'm very familiar with them. Normally my brother (who's a tech at a Porsche dealer) does all the huge jobs for me, but he's been so busy with actual customers he hasn't had time to fit me in. I've been trying to wait patiently, but the oil spots in my driveway are getting larger and larger.
The Boxster (actually my wife's) is an 01, auto, with 90K miles on it.

One thing I have going for me is... we have a third car for situations like this (after owning so many Porsche you learn to have a backup car ) So I'm in no time crunch.

So how doable is this?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #2

Both are definitely a DIY project with four simple provisos specific to the IMS:

1. Get a copy of the LN Engineering IMS procedures (available online as a PDF file).
2. Make sure you have all the necessary tools and fixtures before you start.
3. Follow the LN procedures to the letter; no shortcuts, no substitutions.
4. Take your time and ask questions if you are unsure before proceeding.

The new design RMS is supposed to require a $500 tool that has no other known uses. Fortunately, a 3” CPVC pipe coupler from Lowes or Home Depot can be substituted, provided you do some online searching to see how to do it.

You should also consider doing the AOS while you have the car apart, it is very easy with the Tip out of the way.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

My mechanic, about as straight shooting a shop I've ever dealt with, didn't say the job wasn't DIY. ...But that you probably shouldn't try this as a DIY because the margin for error here can be game over if you get it even a little wrong.
When you consider the importance of doing this job right, the labor charge is modest in my opinion. Better to save money on another job that can be un-fixed if you botch it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #4

I haven't done it, but I will do it when I have to replace the clutch. Lock the crank and the cams and you should have no problems.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

For the money (if you have it), I'd let a shop perform the task. If it fails in the forceable future, 1st you have a bad install, or 2nd you have a bad product. Both parties are on the line.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies...
I'm not very intimidated by the job... I built my Carrera race engine and trans...

I'm worried about all the special tools needed.... RMS installer, IMS bearing puller/installer..

Personally, I have a real trust issue with shops. I've worked as a Porsche tech from 85-93. So I usually only trust myself. The only other person I trust is my brother, that got me into working on Porsches.... He's been working on them since the early 80s to now. I've seen way too many hacks out there...... and have purchased way too many used Porsches and grindge at the work done to them.

Last edited by armandodiaz; 07-10-2012 at 07:26 PM.
armandodiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

I did this job on my manual tranny Boxster and it was pretty straight forward. I had never done anything like this before either. The Pelican write-up is great for this too. Only tool I had to buy was a tranny holder to go on my floor jack and some tall jack stands. The IMS tool I bought with the bearing. Put in a new clutch, flywheel, AOS, and oil fill tube while there. Trick is to put the new RMS in at the proper depth (I think it's 13mm) You can make this tool or buy one (expen$ive) Everything else was pretty easy. Lock the engine at TDC with the bolt thing and mark the cam positions. Do the work and check the cam positions again. I believe an 01 will have the earlier chain setup where it's difficult to make anything skip a tooth, etc.. Not sure of the extra steps for a tip but I'd say go for it.

Steve

BerneseMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote