986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Upgrade from Porsche Sound Package to Bose (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36294-upgrade-porsche-sound-package-bose.html)

hossuk 07-10-2012 02:10 PM

Upgrade from Porsche Sound Package to Bose

Hi,

I have a 2001 Boxster S with the Porsche Sound Package 4X40w Amp, Dash speakers, Door speakers/woofers.

I have purchases a full set of Bose speakers - Dash,Door and Parcel shelf woofer but as system was not MOST did not get Bose amp, Instead I have a 6X40 AES amp (in fact I also have Nokia 6X40 amp, got a bit carried away on ebay).

My intention is to replace the existing speakers with the bose speakers (which I am guessing are different from the existing ones), replace the 4x40 with one of the 6X40 and use that to drive the lot.

1) Is this feasible?
2) If not should I leave existing speakers, add parcel shelf woofer and switch amps.
3) any other suggestions using these parts i.e. No replace with after-market set-up I have already purchased the Bose set-up and really want to use it if at all possible.

Also According to my option list I have the Prepare for CD changer option. What does this include and If I buy a cd changer what do I need to to to get it installed?

Thanks in advance.

particlewave 07-10-2012 02:35 PM

What's a "cd", lol!?!

Imho, you should ditch the stock head unit, cd changer, and forget those puny little amps. A decent hu will out perform the stock hu and those 40w per channel amps. Amp the rear deck as much as it can take.

hossuk 07-10-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 297167)
What's a "cd", lol!?!

Imho, you should ditch the stock head unit, cd changer, and forget those puny little amps. A decent hu will out perform the stock hu and those 40w per channel amps. Amp the rear deck as much as it can take.

ParticleWave

Thanks so much for your prompt feedback but please read the whole of q3 again.

Regards

particlewave 07-10-2012 02:55 PM

What does that have to with my suggestion to replace the hu and forget the cd changer? You bought speakers. Now finish it off with a $100 hu. A 40w per channel amp is about as useless as an anchor on your car; may as well re-sell or toss it. I stated my opinion...take it or leave it. ;)

Here; I'll break it down for you.
1)of course it is
2)you bought the speakers...why not use them?
3)"the bose setup" is just speakers? If you want better sound, speakers alone won't cut it. DITCH THE BECKER UNIT! A cheap $100 pioneer head unit will outperform the stock unit and amp combined.

If you're not going to replace the hu, you won't be too impressed with the difference by only adding speakers.

Burg Boxster 07-10-2012 02:59 PM

Well, aside from concurring w/ particlewave about ditching the whole thing and going aftermarket...

Know that Bose does funny things when it comes to impedence/resistance so you'll likely need to acquire a Bose amp to make the speakers run ok. Stock speakers are 2 & 4 Ohm depending on location and this is also what will be needed for the Nokia amp you picked up. That said, if you want to use the amp and Bose parcel shelf shell... you'll likely need (and want) to swap out all speakers (dash, door and those in Bose shell) w/ some decent aftermkt stuff with good ranges. This includes ditching the tuned ports in door (which house 5.25" drivers) and making a custom baffle to house 6.75" or 6x9" drivers (as the amp has a crossover built into it and most 5.25" can really hit lows w/o a lot of power and 40W isn't nearly enough).

CD Changer: if you have, it should be in the front trunk against the firewall. Otherwise you'll need to pick one of those up too...

As the architecture of your vehicle's sound system is basically 15 years old (1997 was first MY) this topic has been covered extensively countless times. More than enough good information on how and what to do is in the archives here (hint: search using part #s you have will help isolate good threads).

Good luck :)

hossuk 07-10-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 297170)
What does that have to with my suggestion to replace the hu and forget the cd changer? You bought speakers. Now finish it off with a $100 hu. A 40w per channel amp is about as useless as an anchor on your car; may as well re-sell or toss it. I stated my opinion...take it or leave it. ;)

Here; I'll break it down for you.
1)of course it is
2)you bought the speakers...why not use them?
3)"the bose setup" is just speakers? If you want better sound, speakers alone won't cut it. DITCH THE BECKER UNIT! A cheap $100 pioneer head unit will outperform the stock unit and amp combined.

If you're not going to replace the hu, you won't be too impressed with the difference by only adding speakers.

Sorry reading Q3 again I didn't make myself very clear - At the moment I want to stay as stock as possible. Having read a number of forums I understand that even the set-up with the bose speakers is not very good on the sound quality front. I just hate the fact that with what I currently have all the sound comes from up front and just wanted something to fill the space a little better. Even if it does cover up the sound of those 250 horses behind my back.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

hossuk 07-10-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 297171)
Know that Bose does funny things when it comes to impedence/resistance so you'll likely need to acquire a Bose amp to make the speakers run ok.

This was one of my worries.. that is to say the non bose amps would not be compatible with the Bose speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 297171)
More than enough good information on how and what to do is in the archives here (hint: search using part #s you have will help isolate good threads).

Good luck :)

I have done some research through the forums and there is a lot about upgrading the Bose system to after market, upgrading the head-unit but keeping the Bose speakers, etc but I couldn't find anything specifically about upgrading stock non Bose to Bose.