986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hard knocking felt in the floor and pedals only when turning left (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36293-hard-knocking-felt-floor-pedals-only-when-turning-left.html)

BTEMY 07-10-2012 01:42 PM

Hard knocking felt in the floor and pedals only when turning left

Hard knocking felt in the floor and pedals only when turning left. Slowly or fast. Do not hear anything on the freeway or going straight or turns which are smooth. Only felt when turning steering to the left.

My mechanics can't figure out what it possibly can be. I feel it when slowly turning with wheel turned to the left, not experiencing it when turning right.

Recently changed:
Shocks (Tokico HD)
Bars and bars bushings (GT3 and tarret front and rear)
Links (front and rear tarret)
Control Arms (GT3)

The car did sit for about a year after shocks change but before everything else.

Everything looks solid when on the lift, moving it, banging not really producing anything.

One of the mechanics thinks it might be steering rack, but it just feels much more metallic.

Its a full mystery right now, but really affects my please of driving it, as any sharp turns to the left feel like my wheel or something will come off. I hear it on the left and hear it even more when slowly backing up with the wheel turned to the left.

Help is greatly appreciated!

BYprodriver 07-10-2012 03:10 PM

If this started when the sway bars & links went on then the links must be the wrong length.

Steve Tinker 07-10-2012 03:54 PM

As per BYprodriver says - plus was the suspension componants tightened up while the car was still on the hoist.
Suspension should always be torqued up while the car is sitting on its wheels .....

Homeboy981 07-11-2012 06:20 AM

Steve T. is right. Some of the suspension parts NEED to be weighted when tightened fully. You can tighten them partially in the air but the final torque needs to be performed on the ground under the weight of the vehicle. That allows it to "sag" the proper amount.

Not sure of all the items affected, maybe one of the older members can chime in, but I believe the drop links, arms and shock tower all need to be "weighted" on the final tightening to proper specs.

dmairspotter 07-11-2012 11:09 AM

I'd be checking for interference, looseness etc. on the new suspension parts

BTEMY 07-11-2012 01:46 PM

Knocking...

Before the new suspension bits went on I had hard knocking when turning both ways, left and right. The mechanic told me that my control arms need to be replaced, therefore I went with GT3 control arms and while I was at it, swapped the sway bars and end links. Now the knocking is only when turning left.

I think my Mechanic did everything right. Also I'm going to TRG for suspension tuning, once I get rid of this knock.

Any other ideas?

The knocking is felt actually physically in the pedals and on the driver side floor, on the passenger side, the passenger will only hear the sound.

BTEMY 07-12-2012 02:56 PM

Anything else it could be?

Any other ideas?

BTEMY 07-17-2012 12:09 PM

Help?

To the top

jcb986 07-17-2012 12:22 PM

Did anyone check the motor mounts.