Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

help choosing rims color

Hi All, I have the 2003 blue boxster S. I'm planning to get a new set of rims soon (probably will get the forgestar F14 - My options were between forgestars, oz, or zehns). But I'm wondering what color to get? Silver? Titanium? Matte Black? Glossy Black? Gunmetal? or Gold? I'm thinking about the blacks or the gunmetal, but I'm worried that there might not be enough contrast with the car color. Any ideas & suggestions would be great. Also, if you have a blue boxster with black wheels, I'd love to see a picture. Thanks all. Here's a link of for these wheels: Forgestar F14 wheels - BMW

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Pat

Whoa, I just saw those wheels tonight, also. They seem like the hot ticket if you want huge value in a lightweight wheel. My car is rainforest metallic green, and I'm trying to figure out what color to go with. I think gold would look great, but only if it's more of a muted gold. If they're too yellowish I think it would look gaudy. I think the same thing for your blue car. I'd stay away from gray, gunmetal, black, etc. I think silver or gold would be best.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Pat

Well, it looks to me like bronze is the way to go on these. Gold is way too bold for my taste.
Gold:

Bronze:
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

Sorry mate... sport cars should all have silver, or aluminum, wheels. Especially with a blue paint... you don't want to put dark looking wheels... unless you are 17 years old and are in batman/ghostrider... that kinda thing.

RE gold wheels.... the cops will be all over you thinking you are drug dealer brotha. That's also a no-go!

Silver, trust me
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Sorry mate... sport cars should all have silver, or aluminum, wheels. Especially with a blue paint... you don't want to put dark looking wheels... unless you are 17 years old and are in batman/ghostrider... that kinda thing.

RE gold wheels.... the cops will be all over you thinking you are drug dealer brotha. That's also a no-go!

Silver, trust me
agreed! Silver or a very slight version is what should be on sports cars. Anything else either looks goofy or just plain ugly. That is my opinion and of many others. Please do not mess up your Boxsters good looks

Just thought of a couple colors that are ok with black- yellow and white can use black but it has to be the right rims and really needs a splash of body color on rim. I have seen both of them both ways looks ok and looks bad.

Last edited by wvboxst3r; 02-12-2012 at 04:56 AM.
wvboxst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Put whatever wheels please you the most on the car. The factory had adorned their cars with orange wheels or worse yet the ugly GT3 fender graffiti and someone has the brass ones to say don't ruin the look of the car? I don't care much for the conversion mobiles out there like the recent Gemballa kit shown in its own thread, however, if I'm not driving it I'm fine with someone else thinking it looks good. What happened to individualism anyway?

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 02-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #7

Garage
You might want to check out this old thread .

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/24776-gloss-matte-black-gunmetal-forgestar-f14s.html
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #8

Color and accessories are subjective on your car. The style of owning a Porsche is the only thing we all have in common. Enjoy it but just know if you ask for help you're going to get tons of feedback both good and bad.

I like the stock/factory look but that's just my opinion. Enjoy!
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

I think these are pretty cool, ( I mean if you're dispensing meth that night cool)

Roderick Wheels
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I think these are pretty cool, ( I mean if you're dispensing meth that night cool)

Roderick Wheels
They don't offer an application for a 986 boxster .
Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

black with gold porsche

this is the ride that got me thinking of gold.
Attached Images

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled

Last edited by CVstarBoxster; 02-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #12

What offset of these would fit boxster?
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVstarBoxster View Post
this is the ride that got me thinking of gold.
These are cool but there is a difference between the gold that Forgestar offers and the goldish bronze on this boxster. First there is a aluminum lip and then it has the goldish bronze in the center so the look isn't as harsh to digest and then it kind of sets in and looks good. The Forgestar gold is almost gunmetal light yellow with no lip color. So it may yield a different result when put on a dark blue boxster. But if you think that it would look nice then go for it. It will be nice and unique, I can asure you that much, and I personally would avoid black just because it is overplayed and contrast is always nice so gunmetal would be my choice. Gunmetal is just a bad ass color with any color car. but if you decide to go a different route look at some whites, not gloss though. White wheels look kind of cool, then again I do have a little bit of a ricer taste with that.

I spent a good amount of time trying to find the frost white f14 and failed so call them and ask for a pic of some white f14. If it looks glossy don't bother. It has to be like a mate white that isn't too bright or else it will look stupid.

And the other two rims in the pics would be my choices. Silver with black background because it has contrast not just black, and Gunmetal because its bad ass. Hope this helps. Also if you are going to spend this kind of money why not stand out a bit. Going with conservative colors is good but you also want to make your car stand out in a fashionable ya so whatever your choice is make sure looking at it every time will give you joy and not a sense of i could have done better. "secretly I want to see some white rims on some dark colored boxsters"

Last edited by Bmod986; 02-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your input. Bmod, I think you're right about the forgestar gold. They are more mustard if anything. Not as nice as the one on the black car I posted (those are probably bbs). I've decided to go with this hyper silver finish (they call it machine finish; see the link for it here: F14 Porsche Front | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ) I'd say it's not as dull as silver, but not as shiny as crowme (so happy medium . But again, Bmod, the idea for the black background sounds good ... what about a dark blue backdrop? might tie in with the car lovely. Any thoughts on that? And sorry buddy, white ain't my style.

Also, since these are custom made, I can choose my offsets. Any ideas? I'm going with 18 inch (8.5 fronts and 10 in the back). I want the aggressive look without the spacers. Thanks again all.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #15

A bit late on the question but did you ever get the rims and if you did, did you post the pics?

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote