986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Does anybody have experience replacing the.. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36165-does-anybody-have-experience-replacing.html)

Jbocio 07-02-2012 08:26 AM

Does anybody have experience replacing the..

Shut-Off Valve. I have that whistling sound coming from the passenger side while going over 45+ MPH. Researched and found people have fixed that problem by replacing this "Shut-Off Valve."
Part # 996-605-201-01
So I believe this part will do the trick, anybody have experience with this?

Jbocio 07-02-2012 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 16338

Here is the diagram as well.

BerneseMtnDog 07-02-2012 08:39 AM

There are two valves in there that look similar. OEM-99660521301 is the one that fixed my whistling sound. You need to remove the wheel and the inner plastic liner to get inside there. Pretty straight forward job. The little plastic retainer things that hold the liner on can be a little hard to remove. I loosened them up with some p-blaster and had better luck with them.

Steve
2000 2.7L

WhipE350 07-02-2012 02:11 PM

I have the flute too. I've been putting off fixing it forever. From all the research I have done on several forums it could be 1 of 3 of the parts in that picture. I don't think all whistle/flutes are the same. I have been able to reproduce sitting still so I'm going to take covers off and narrow it down to the exact part.

bar10dah 07-02-2012 03:55 PM

I replaced the bottom #6; the one on the EVAP canister. Fairly easy to do with the fender liner out. I never looked at the top #6, so can't be sure how to access it.

Niceguyeddie 12-27-2016 10:47 AM

Codes, checking in

Just curious what codes it was throwing when you had the whistling sound?
Mine had the whistling sound until I took out the Check valve (96.201.255.07 and 96.201.255.06) and fashioned my own check valve (the check valve wasn't doing its job and was letting air in both ways). It stopped the whistling but I'm pretty sure something else is broken which caused the check valve to break.

Mine is throwing codes
P1124
P1126
P0455

My homemade check valve didn't make much difference (these are the same codes it was throwing before). Only now, it doesn't whistle anymore. I've been running it like this for 6 months with few side effects. It's an old car with high mileage so my expectations are reasonable. I just want to see if I can fix the P0455 code before I replace the oxygen sensors.

And, as this is an old thread, what did you do to fix yours? I have been researching this for over a year and I have some time off this week to troubleshoot. I want to find these parts at a dismantler locally, and replace them one at a time rather than spending what I consider to be too much money on new sensors (each one is over $100 new). It's a gamble either way, but finding the parts at on a junked car with lower miles seems to be a much cheaper route than buying new. I've had experiences buying new oxygen sensors that turned out to be bad from Bosche, but that was years ago and another sob story. I will buy brand new oxygen sensors for this car, but not until I get this P0455 code sorted out. Sorry to Ramble.

tommy583 12-27-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbocio (Post 296174)
Shut-Off Valve. I have that whistling sound coming from the passenger side while going over 45+ MPH. Researched and found people have fixed that problem by replacing this "Shut-Off Valve."
Part # 996-605-201-01
So I believe this part will do the trick, anybody have experience with this?

What year is your car? My 98 has a slightly different set up than the one in your diagram. Be aware you can also get a whistling sound from hood to bumper adjustment.