Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #1

Convertible Top Latch Recepticle

Driving along with the top down and the plastic piece which holds the dome light and catches the top latch fell down. It was held by the various wires, but both screws came out, their oval plastic covers fell off, and the screws fell to the floor. I tried to put them back in, but the "nuts" inside the windshield frame appear to be stripped, or broken. Neither of them will hold a screw.
What's the fix?

1998 Standard with 15K Miles.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #2

I had that same thing happen with the nuts that hold the sunvisors in place. Went to tighten them, and the nuts broke inside the windshield frame. Why Porsche uses these easily breakable and non-extractable nuts is a real headscratcher. Preventing over-torquing of screws? So the fittings will break away in an accident? Selling more parts? I'd be interested in knowing the reason.

For a solution, I filled the holes with an epoxy filler material [probably bondo would work ok too] and then, while the epoxy was still soft, inserted a plastic drywall anchor into the hole, pushing it flush. After the epoxy cured, I used 1" drywall screws. Because the screws are flat black, they are not visible, look just fine, and tighten up nicely.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #3

Unfortunately, I know that problem...

Lucky for you, it's just the 2 inside retainers which are broken. On mine, it was a center latch one as well as both for the visors. Plus the rest of them were starting to split. anyhow, I wrote up a DIY on how to R&R. Pretty simple job once you get rolling.

File attached w/ details

Good luck and feel free to PM w/ any questions.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #4

Great DIY!
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks. Your solution seems to achieve the same result. As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanx

Thanks guys. Don't know if I'll be skinning a cat real soon, but I appreciate your solutions to my broken nuts problem. I can't believe how much knowledge there is spread among the world-wide members of this forum.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

Hate to bump an old thread, but by any change does anyone still have this DIY on how to replace the two top screws in the dome light?

Mine just busted after I replaced the top and while I was stretching, all the pressure ended up snapping both cheap retaining screws in the dome. Now I have to find a way to get in there and replace or repair.

Thanks!
s4alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #8

Boxster Nut & Screw issue - Nuts fractured vertically

It just happened to me this week end. Went for a drive with the top down. Came home, put the to up and the screw fell out. Tried to it the screw in a

Then noticed the nut. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you Boxster Buddy's!
14Boxster0154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #9

This should help you guys out.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/randrcenternuts
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4alex View Post
Hate to bump an old thread, but by any change does anyone still have this DIY on how to replace the two top screws in the dome light?

Mine just busted after I replaced the top and while I was stretching, all the pressure ended up snapping both cheap retaining screws in the dome. Now I have to find a way to get in there and replace or repair.

Thanks!
I could NOT FOCUS on this thread….your Avatar is hilarious! I have been in that position (upside down with boots in the air and the bike on the ground).

How did you manage to get a snap of that? Aren't you too busy falling? Can you post the original?

That pic made my day! Funny!