986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Is Technology Making Cars Worse? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36110-technology-making-cars-worse.html)

ekam 06-28-2012 09:20 AM

Is Technology Making Cars Worse?

Is Technology Making Cars Worse? - ROAD TESTAMENT - YouTube

bar10dah 06-28-2012 09:24 AM

Didn't watch the video. But I will say technology doesn't make a car worse. Generally, it makes for drivers that aren't as skilled.

recycledsixtie 06-28-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bar10dah (Post 295760)
Didn't watch the video. But I will say technology doesn't make a car worse. Generally, it makes for drivers that aren't as skilled.

I did not watch video either. I think that there are many out there that should not be driving at all irrespective of technology:(:(:(:dance::dance::dance:

Perfectlap 06-28-2012 11:46 AM

you'd get more interest if you pointed out that Chris Harris is in the vid. He's the best pundit on sports cars by far.

jdiba 06-28-2012 12:38 PM

Depends on the car. Depends on why you are driving. Are you driving to DRIVE or are you driving to get from point A to point B ? Also Depends on the technology. I just picked up a Hyundai Sonata as a DD. This thing has some nice features. Backup screen, Bluetooth (never had), streaming audio that connects iphone to radio (no aux cable), GREAT gas mileage, GPS, heated seats, lumbar support, moon roof, buttons on steering wheel that control EVERYTHING, auto transmission to give my hip a break. (had a manual tranny Tucson that I had to drive in Boston traffic every day and it sucked), front wheel drive, etc. etc etc. All those bells and whistles are creature comforts that will make my daily commute more tolerable. Whereas my 'Boxster S' IS the creature comfort :D and in those times it ain't about Point A to Point B. In sports cars I think it separates the driver from the car. (not a desirable thing IMO). Technology def. has a place though.

blue2000s 06-28-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 295757)

I agree with this arguement completely.

thstone 06-29-2012 02:19 PM

I watched the video and yes, I agree completely. We are now at the point where the computers are diminishing the driving experience.

Homeboy981 06-29-2012 05:42 PM

There are drivers that desperately NEED ANY & ALL TECHNOLOGY they can get. That would NOT APPLY to anyone in this group though! I say give them more "tools" to drive with….as long as they do it in the right or slow lane!

Enforce "Slower traffic keep right" rule!

thstone 06-29-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy981 (Post 295946)
Enforce "Slower traffic keep right" rule!

+1 :cheers:

nieuwhzn 06-29-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 295757)

Could only make it through the first 3 minutes, these guys are just way to convinced of their own importance to be bearable to watch much longer.

But yes, I'm pretty convinced that stuffing more and more active electronics in a car makes for less driving fun at a certain point and definitely is already making for worse drivers. Drivers get more and more disconnected from the road and the fact that they are driving a big, honking killing machine. Many cars are now equipped with over-powered power steering, lane departure alarms, automatic brakes, etc., etc. This seems all to encourage drivers to think that their cars drive themselves so that they can spend more time on their cell phones.

jb92563 06-29-2012 11:25 PM

Technology has its place when it facilitates the drivers attention to driving
and situational awareness of surrounding vehicles, and of course safety.

But when it takes the drivers attention off the road and into the cockpit, then its
a formula for disaster.

Rant(
Learning situational awareness should be mandatory on the drivers test as most drivers have no clue and are dangerous drivers.

They should also teach autobahn driving rules for highway use, where you keep to the right lane like your life depends on it until you are ready to pass.
)

I like feeling the car and not sure I even like the E-gas as i feel disconnected somewhat from the cars source of power and hence control.

For a commuter vehicle I think the driver should be removed completely some day when the technology exists so the fools dont ride my bumper while doing their makeup in the rear view mirror, or having a picture chat with someone on the phone or beating their kids into submission.

I$ think all pertinent gauges should be projected on a Heads Up Display in your line of sight out the front window.

blue2000s 06-30-2012 12:50 PM

Here's the correct use for technology

We Hear: Production Alfa Romeo 4C to Debut in Summer 2013 - WOT on Motor Trend

Carbon fiber tub, high compression turbo, 2000 pounds, 230 bhp.

Instead of making Porsches more refined, more luxurious, easier to drive, and overall more boring, they need to make something that will compete with this through manufacturing and materials technology.

Mrmaddbrad 06-30-2012 03:49 PM

The video is so correct. Technology is great for people that can't drive or at least have no reason/want for a car with personality. In a world of automatic gear boxes and traction control, it seems no one is willing to have a little fun with their cars. And as a result, no one seems to respect the brilliant machines they are driving.

pothole 06-30-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 296020)
Here's the correct use for technology

We Hear: Production Alfa Romeo 4C to Debut in Summer 2013 - WOT on Motor Trend

Carbon fiber tub, high compression turbo, 2000 pounds, 230 bhp.

Instead of making Porsches more refined, more luxurious, easier to drive, and overall more boring, they need to make something that will compete with this through manufacturing and materials technology.

I would agree save for one detail. The engine. Blown inline four banger is a total turn off. It needs a small Alfa V6 - the 2.5 they used to make with about 200hp would be fab.

milliemax 06-30-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 296034)
The video is so correct. Technology is great for people that can't drive or at least have no reason/want for a car with personality. In a world of automatic gear boxes and traction control, it seems no one is willing to have a little fun with their cars. And as a result, no one seems to respect the brilliant machines they are driving.

"People that can not drive", Thats me !!! I am looking for 70's BMW 2002 with points and plugs only. I am older and should not live in fear of.......a car with an idiot CEL that "Cries" like a spoiled late model child. What ever happened to "Fix it yourself and go ??? "

blue2000s 06-30-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pothole (Post 296038)
I would agree save for one detail. The engine. Blown inline four banger is a total turn off. It needs a small Alfa V6 - the 2.5 they used to make with about 200hp would be fab.

I can't see a v6 in a sub-2000 pound car.

pothole 07-01-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 296045)
I can't see a v6 in a sub-2000 pound car.

Add 100lb for the engine. Turbo four banger is not what I'd want in this kind of car. If it has to be four-pot, NA or supercharged would be far preferable. But six pots is really what it needs.

Ghostrider 310 07-01-2012 05:02 AM

If technology is making them worser nobody put it in ladies home journal yet. First time in my life at a light last night complete stray woman offers to exit the vehicle she's in to get into mine and go to ?

Never seen the power of the P car on P, it was certainly unexpected.

blue2000s 07-01-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pothole (Post 296059)
Add 100lb for the engine. Turbo four banger is not what I'd want in this kind of car. If it has to be four-pot, NA or supercharged would be far preferable. But six pots is really what it needs.

I agree for the most part.

I have had the unique opportunity to have a turbocharged 4-cylinder and a V6 in the same chassis with almost equal power for direct comparison. Both are 2nd gen MR2s I very much prefer the power delivery of the V6. Much more consistant torque curve and instant power. The v6 car, while not faster on paper, does feel faster in real driving. Although the turbo in the MR2 was still pretty nice. I will say, though, that the turbo did get 5-7 mpg better fuel economy.

However, I've owned a couple of 2nd gen Eclipse turbos. These cars were equiped with little, fast spooling turbos. Basically the same engine as a pre- X Evo but smaller turbo. This car has nearly no turbo lag, it's a very nice engine although it does fall flat above 6000 rpm. The car almost felt like it was supercharged. This is a relatively low compression engine by today's standards.

Through direct injection, high compression, and a small turbo, I think they can build a supercharger-like engine with the efficiency and weight of a NA 4 cylinder. We'll see.

ekam 07-01-2012 06:57 AM

^Even BMWs are getting rid of their inline 6 for 4 banger turbos... for better fuel economy and lower emission, even the Enzo replacement is rumored to go back to twin-turbo V8 ala F40... so you won't see this thread happening anytime soon...

Yes NA will always always always have smoother power delivery (same with S/C), but turbos open up to more tuning options (ie. more power) and arguably more fun to drive once the turbo kicks in.