Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #1

Please Help! 1999 porsche problem.

Hi all. I just recently purchased a 1999 Porsche site unseen from a dealer as is. The engine light was on so I had them look at it before I got it. Now the light is back on, sometimes the car won't crank over (lights come on but no noise from turn over), and the little light by the coolant/ heat indicator is blinking. I know i need to have it checked out but has anyone else had these problems and if so, what was it.

On another note. I am really enjoying the car! Thanks a bunch!!!!!

pebbles23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #2

1. Blinking coolant light indicates low coolant level. Top off the coolant tank in rear trunk with distilled water (mid way between min and max with cold engine). Since you just bought the car, keep an eye on your gauge and the coolant level in the tank. You might want to take a peek under the trunk carpet around the tank to make sure you don't have a leak, which is common.

2. Car not cranking etc is a sign of weak battery. Check the date of the battery, take it to an autoparts store and have your battery load tested.

3. Engine light could be lots of stuff...fix the other stuff first!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #3

You need to have the error code read so that we can tell you what the issue is.
The CEL can be triggered by any of over 100 different things.
When the car doesn't crank the first thing I'd look at is the clutch interlock (assuming it's a manual tranny).
Are you depressing the clutch pedal ALL the way down? Check your floor mat to make sure it's not bunched up under the clutch pedal.
When the coolant/heat indicator light is blinking it means that the car is low on coolant.
Check the level and if needed, top off with distilled water.
Also, if you haven't done it replace the coolant cap with the newest version (04). Older caps tend to leak.
Finally, just to be sure that you don't have a cracked coolant reservoir, peel back the rear trunk's carpeting and check the trunks bottom just under the coolant reservoir.
If you see ANY coolant your reservoir is cracked and needs to be replaced.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Last edited by ppbon; 06-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #4

I remember the first time my floor mat was pushed back and my box wouldn't crank.

Uller God is offline   Reply With Quote