986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   $16,000 for 2001 Boxster- Reasonable? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36062-%2416-000-2001-boxster-reasonable.html)

arthurj3 06-25-2012 10:05 AM

$16,000 for 2001 Boxster- Reasonable?

I am going to try to sell my 2001 Boxster Base locally (Ohio-Craigslist) and I am wondering what the community thinks is reasonable for what is described below. The KBB value is very discouraging.... With 36k miles, I could drive another 50,000 miles this year and the value would only decrease several hundred dollars. As if the values are bottoming out....

Thoughts?

2.7 liter Flat 6 engine 217 hp
Artic Silver body and top with black leather interior, great combination
Less than 36,000 miles as of 6/25/12
18 inch turbo twist wheels
New brakes pads and rotors on front & new pads on rear (OEM Textar pads with Brembo calipers)
Air/Oil Separator (AOS) replaced

De-ambered headlights (no fried eggs) with Stealth Bulb turn signals (silver in color but flash amber)
Clear side markers (no amber)
New(June 2012) 550 Porsche Special Edition Boxster Spyder tail lights (no amber)

2 Keys
All owner’s manuals/booklets with black Porsche pouch
Porsche tool kit
Porsche car cover

No accidents

986_inquiry 06-25-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthurj3 (Post 295324)
I am going to try to sell my 2001 Boxster Base locally (Ohio-Craigslist) and I am wondering what the community thinks is reasonable for what is described below. The KBB value is very discouraging.... With 36k miles, I could drive another 50,000 miles this year and the value would only decrease several hundred dollars. As if the values are bottoming out....

Thoughts?

2.7 liter Flat 6 engine 217 hp
Artic Silver body and top with black leather interior, great combination
Less than 36,000 miles as of 6/25/12
18 inch turbo twist wheels
New brakes pads and rotors on front & new pads on rear (OEM Textar pads with Brembo calipers)
Air/Oil Separator (AOS) replaced

De-ambered headlights (no fried eggs) with Stealth Bulb turn signals (silver in color but flash amber)
Clear side markers (no amber)
New(June 2012) 550 Porsche Special Edition Boxster Spyder tail lights (no amber)

2 Keys
All owner’s manuals/booklets with black Porsche pouch
Porsche tool kit
Porsche car cover

No accidents

Seems reasonable for the mileage and location and time of year

papasmurf 06-25-2012 02:08 PM

I would personally say that is on the high side but I am not familiar with the prices for the cars in your area and of course the condition of your car. FWIW I have a 2000 2.7, 18" Sport Classic Rims, Sport Design Package/Interior/Suspension, Sport Seats, Litronics, Artic Silver/Blk, Records, Manuals, two owner, no accidents, etc...that I bought in spring 2008 and I paid $16.7K and the car had 38k miles at the time and I think I did not negotiate hard enough and could have gotten it closer to 15.5k.

jb92563 06-25-2012 02:55 PM

I just paid $14.5k for my 2001 S in great condition with 55k miles.

Maybe $1000 less would be spot on.

I'd say try at 16k and allow negotiations down to 15k.

My $0.02

particlewave 06-25-2012 03:00 PM

In all honesty, it seems a few thousand too high. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $13k as listed. The light options that you mentioned don't really make any difference and may actually detract from the value if the person is a Porsche or stock enthusiast like me. Also, low miles on a Box that is 12+ years old is not always a good thing.

My price may be a bit on the low side, and I don't know your area, but I would probably start negotiating with you at 13 and hope to talk you down to closer to 12. I wouldn't even look at the ad for $16k. I paid $10k for my '99 last August. Absolutely spotless, clean record, all tools and manuals, full service records, original sticker, Porsche car cover, new top and window, new pads and rotors, 18" twists with newer rubber, all the options, and about 30k more miles...JMO.

Reckles_Kelly 06-25-2012 05:08 PM

I just paid $12k for my "S" with 56k on it. No litronics, but it has the sport touring package, Comfort package, 18" turbo wheels, full records, an I bought it from the second owner.

When I was searching for cars, I felt that over $14k for a non "S" seemed ridiculous, and some of the S's that were priced at $15-16k were too much for what you were getting...

Mine was advertised at $14k and I simply asked if he would take $12k before I even went to look at it, when I saw the car I figured it was worth $12k and didn't try to haggle any more.

Good luck with your sale.

arthurj3 06-26-2012 03:55 AM

High End

Sounds like I am too high on the price. Thank you for the opinions.

BruceH 06-26-2012 04:34 AM

It sounds a bit high from what I have been seeing in my search. Big thing is, answer your ad when someone responds! I still haven't heard from three that I have been trying to contact. It is so much better if you have a telephone number as well IMO.

d18mike 06-26-2012 04:41 AM

I also think that's quite high. My guess is you'll get around $12,500. But it only takes one buyer!

Also, the new Boxster officially arrives in dealerships this week. Not sure it will have an immediate impact on 986 pricing, but our cars are now the third generation of the line. That can't help.

cbbepop 06-26-2012 05:33 AM

Yeah it seems a bit high to me but take a look at ebay, autrotrader, cars.com or craiglist of your area and compare your car to their prices

Bmod986 06-26-2012 12:26 PM

Well just out of curiosity if there is a dealer near by find out what they would give you and then calculate how much they would sell it for. The rarity of the car in your area also plays a big role. If you still have the original lights then it would be prudent to negotiate with and without the updated lights as well. With that being said you could leave it at 16 and let the hagglers go at it, or look at the other porsches available in you area and then make a reasonable decision.

blue2000s 06-26-2012 02:12 PM

I once set the asking price for a car at the amount I wanted for the car. 3 or 4 people test drove it and offered me less than my asking price. I then raised the asking price and within another week I sold the car for what I wanted to get (the original asking price). My point is, there's no harm is starting high if you're not eager to sell immediately.

Ask what you think you should and see what happens. As you gradually lower the asking price over time, someone will eventually bite.

jesseborgelt 06-26-2012 03:43 PM

I just purchased a 2000 Boxster from Columbus Ohio, Craigslist with 75K miles, good condition. Only flaws were small crack in plastic window and some worn interior pieces, reasonable for miles and age. I paid $11,000 cash. If your car was on the market then - without seeing your car, I wouldn’t have gone over $13,000, period.

fivepointnine 06-26-2012 11:28 PM

I just traded mine in on a CLK500 benz, they gave me 14k on trade, 02 S 6 spd, LN bearing, Robbins top, 67k miles etc. the dealer I sold it to is asking 19k...he is out of his mind lol. I had it for sale for about a month at 15.9 and barely even got any interest.

arthurj3 06-27-2012 07:03 AM

I priced it at $15,000 obo. I still struggle to see how a car with 1/2 the mileage of some of these others mentioned is only worth a grand or two more in other peoples opinion. It is a matter of perception I guess. There appears to very little premium for low miles.

The low miles IMS bearing opinion completely skews that notion as well, counter intuitive.

We will see what price the market can bear. Or I will just enjoy it the rest of the summer and try again next year. Eventually, it will have 70,000 miles and a high school kid can pick it up for $3,000 as if it was an old Fiat. I anticipate seeing these cars on blocks in backyards someday. I estimate by the year 2020.

I do appreciate everyone's comments.

BruceH 06-27-2012 08:01 AM

Why not post here on the 986forum? Include some nice, detailed pictures. I might even be interested. There are lots to choose from out there but you can hope for a premium if it is very well cared for. Service records help. Are you the original owner?

thstone 06-27-2012 12:20 PM

Blue Book is under $13,000 for a private party sale. Sorry, but the reality is there is no way you'll get $15K unless the person is clueless.

There are a lot of Boxsters on the market and buyers are careful about buying an 11-yr old sprts car that can be expensive to own/maintain.

I'd say sell it to to the first person who offers over $12,500 and move on.