Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Garage
Brake Pad Dampers?

So I work at a German auto shop and I went to order my first set of brakes for my 2002 Boxster S since I've bought it, and our parts supplier asked me if I needed a new set of Brake Pad Dampers. There are 4 in the front and 4 in the rear. And sadly, they are over $100 my cost for all 8.

Now he stressed concern that a lot of people have had pretty poor luck with trying to re-use the old ones. However he also added that for the price I could do the job with out the dampers, and in the result that they squeak, but a set and put them on.

However I would really not like to do the job twice, but he told me to ask you guys if any had opinions about them. So here i am. Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks a ton guy!
~Brad

Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #2

I'm not convinced they're required but I've left them on my street pads.
Track pads squeal anyway so it doesn't matter.
If I ever have to replace the street pads, I won't put new dampers on ...... I'll save the old ones just in case.

Plus, they make it a pain in the butt to swap pads! Without them, you wouldn't have to take the caliper off.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

The S has them, but the base model doesn't. My base model was using them when I changed the pads at 40,000 mi, so they were installed by a previous owner. I did NOT install them and have had no problem after 7000 mi.

But keep in mind that the brakes are somewhat different in the S, although the shims (dampers) fit both!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Garage
Alright. I think I'll just spend the money and do it. Honestly, its not like porsche engineers don't know what they're doing... haha

Well thanks for all the help guys!!

Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote