Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #21

Garage
There are so many of these around, IMHO I see no reason to pay a premium for a '97, which as others have mentioned has all the short comings and none of the updates. And $11k is too much.

It's a Boxster; it will never be collectable, so low miles don't really count for much. Maintenance will cost the same no matter the miles.

The dealer wanting $20k for an '04S is dreaming!

Offer these guys $7.5k and keep the rest for maint and upgrades! (after a PPI!)
Cars for Sale: 1997 Porsche Boxster in Carrollton, TX 75006: Convertible Details - 317563995 - AutoTrader.com

Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminC View Post
There are so many of these around, IMHO I see no reason to pay a premium for a '97, which as others have mentioned has all the short comings and none of the updates. And $11k is too much.

It's a Boxster; it will never be collectable, so low miles don't really count for much. Maintenance will cost the same no matter the miles.

Cars for Sale: 1997 Porsche Boxster in Carrollton, TX 75006: Convertible Details - 317563995 - AutoTrader.com
I actually went to go look at that one but they didn't have it. Said they were sending it to another dealer. The guy I talked to said it was pretty rough, didn't recommend it.
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #23
2005, Tiptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Thanks Snowman! Again, just what I want to hear! By the way, I see you have the Tiptronic. How do you like it?
Very happy with it. I've been driving manuals for the last thirty years. It's a nice change, particularly because this is almost a daily driver. That includes rush hour traffic in the evening. The Tip in Manual mode is a very interesting feature. MUCH more responsive than I had expected. The paddle switches on the steering wheel have become as second-nature to me as a gear shift. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #24

Garage
Thanks Snowman!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #25

Garage
Bruce.....if you like the 99 2.5's performance with low miles and about the same $ you would pay for the 97, you should consider this one?????

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/35807-fs-1999-boxster.html

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's opinions! So here is my thought process. I can go look for a 2001+ and from what I have seen, pay anywhere from $4000 to $9000 more for up to a 2004. In my area, for example, there is a 2004 S with about 72,000 miles, Black with Black interior and very clean. They want $20,895 for it. There's a 2000 S in Silver with 77K for $15,500. Again a big difference. I can do a lot of upgrades and maintenance on the '97 and still have the car I want with low miles. I'm not looking to race it, just to have some fun. When I drove the '99 with the 2.5L, I was very happy with the performance. Enough to get into trouble. I was hoping to hear something today as to whether or not my offer was accepted, but nothing. He has been slow to get back to me so hopefully tomorrow I'll know something. If it doesn't work out, I'll keep looking. There's plenty out there right now.
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:

The 2001 with 29,000 miles and a 2.7L sold for $14,998. Here are some others that are for sale in the area. This is why I really don't think $11,000 is too much.

I looked at this 2004 with a 2.7L and it had obviously spent time outside, plus lots of scratches and just under 58K for $17,250 is what they said when I went to look at it.

Here's a 2000, 77K, S model for $15,500. It's also listed on eBay.

This one isn't too bad, a 2001 60K, 2.7L for $13,900. It's been sitting there for a while so could be talked down.

This is the 2004 that I mentioned earlier, 71K, S model for $20,895.

Here's a nice low mileage 2002 but they want $21,333!

I could go on, but prices seem to be high compared to what you guys are saying. Yes, you can negotiate and knock some off, but not that much!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
Bruce.....if you like the 99 2.5's performance with low miles and about the same $ you would pay for the 97, you should consider this one?????

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/35807-fs-1999-boxster.html
John,
I am still considering yours. Really like it, just not sure if I want the Tiptronic. Still debating.
Bruce
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #28

Garage
My guess is that for the better prices, you need to steer clear of dealers and work with private parties. It's also better as you increase your chance of getting some history to go with the car.

Like this: 2002 Porsche Boxster Convertible Low Miles REDUCED

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #29

READ MY THREAD ABOUT MY 97 MAINTENANCE COSTS!

Maintenance over past year...ooch!

If I had to buy another one I would go for a newer one just so I could get a nicer interior. Sure its the same design but the latter models seem to be a lot nicer.

Given both of those things I would choose a 97 thats been very well maintained then a 2000(given the 2000 cost penalty)
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
My guess is that for the better prices, you need to steer clear of dealers and work with private parties. It's also better as you increase your chance of getting some history to go with the car.

Good luck!
Thanks for that Link! Somehow, I missed that one. I do search CS most days for the DFW area but that one didn't show up for me today. Thanks again, I'll have to check that one out.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
READ MY THREAD ABOUT MY 97 MAINTENANCE COSTS!

Maintenance over past year...ooch!

If I had to buy another one I would go for a newer one just so I could get a nicer interior. Sure its the same design but the latter models seem to be a lot nicer.

Given both of those things I would choose a 97 thats been very well maintained then a 2000(given the 2000 cost penalty)
Thanks for the info I know that what ever I get it is going to need regular cash infusions. Just hope I don't have your luck, but of course if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all, right?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #32

Garage
Thanks Bruce....I didnt realize you were so far away! Good Luck with the shopping!

I like the 97 you're considering and the '01 for $13,900.

Quote:
John,
I am still considering yours. Really like it, just not sure if I want the Tiptronic. Still debating.
Bruce
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for the info I know that what ever I get it is going to need regular cash infusions. Just hope I don't have your luck, but of course if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all, right?
If its any consolation they're extremely easy to work on. Boxsters have a ton of room to work
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
Thanks Bruce....I didnt realize you were so far away! Good Luck with the shopping!

I like the 97 you're considering and the '01 for $13,900.
I do really like yours but it would be a long drive home but it would be fun I like the fact that you have the GAHH roof and the red Brembo calipers already done which is something I would do as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #35

That 2004 S looks good to me. Updated interior with a glovebox, a glass window top, 3.2 motor, triple black. That's the car I SHOULD have waited on and purchased!

All the pricing is inflated. Show up and drive it and tell them to stop smoking pot and offer you a reasonable price. I will say that I think the prices will drop like a rock at the end of the year. We are in for a double-dip recession.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
That 2004 S looks good to me. Updated interior with a glovebox, a glass window top, 3.2 motor, triple black. That's the car I SHOULD have waited on and purchased!

All the pricing is inflated. Show up and drive it and tell them to stop smoking pot and offer you a reasonable price. I will say that I think the prices will drop like a rock at the end of the year. We are in for a double-dip recession.
I like that one a lot too, but he would have to come down quite a bit.

I just sent an e-mail to the owner of this one for more information. A 2001 with about 80K.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #37

Quote:
I do really like yours but it would be a long drive home but it would be fun I like the fact that you have the GAHH roof and the red Brembo calipers already done which is something I would do as well.
Ask John99 about the PO. And the care he provided. Also, I thought my car was clean until I saw John's. I was afraid to touch it !!!!! I would buy Johns car before I bought from a stranger or a "Stealership" that threw away all records like they do.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
Ask John99 about the PO. And the care he provided. Also, I thought my car was clean until I saw John's. I was afraid to touch it !!!!! I would buy Johns car before I bought from a stranger or a "Stealership" that threw away all records like they do.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is PO? I probably would jump on John's car in a heartbeat if I was closer. I was talking to another guy at a Porsche garage today and I mentioned John's car and he knew what I was talking about immediately. I just don't have the time right now to go out and see it and then if I bought it, I would need 3 days to drive it back. It is a gorgeous car though and I'm going to keep it in mind.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #39

Garage
PO= Previous Owner.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:

Good luck!
I e-mailed the one you linked to today for more info, no reply so far. Also, asked for more info on this one, another 2002, but kind of high on the miles.

Quote:
PO= Previous Owner.
Thanks, I should have figured that one out.