Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #1

Headlamp Removal

I need to remove a headlamp assembly because a low beam bulb is burned out. I don't have a toolkit, so I used a 5mm socket to rotate the locking mechanism to remove the assembly. Problem is that it won't release. When I rotate the lock, it makes a "pop", but there is tension on the mechanism so I have to keep pressure on it to keep it in the 180 degree position. However, no matter where I position it, the assembly won't budge. Any suggestions?

jerry430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

I just removed the headlamps recently myself. I remember you have to rotate back 90 degrees after the 180 for it to disengage. It's described in the owners manual too.

Good luck.
ericinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

I wasn't aware that you had to go back to 90 degrees to remove the assembly. However, I tried that and still no luck. It moves out about a quarter inch, but no further. I've tried prying it, and even broke off the amber lens with all my pulling, but it still won't budge.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #4

Garage
Here's a pretty good how to video Porsche 911 996 & Boxster 986 Headlight Removal & Replacement - YouTube

I got one of my headlamp assemblys stuck because it wasn't fitted exactly in one of the tracks,
you just have to work it back out.
Good luck , Nick
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the help, but this thing just won't budge no matter where I position the retainer.
I'm wondering if I can get to the assembly by removing the fender skirt in the wheel well and push it out.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

I had the same problem as you and even snapped off the amber corner lens. What I figured out was that I needed to rotate the light a little bit before pulling it straight out. I was able to pull the light out about a quarter of an inch and then rotate it slightly away from the trunk opening and then pull it out.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

On the headlight itself, there is a gasket surrounding it. Use a small plastic pull tool and some Wd-40 and gently pry the gasket all around the headlight to let the lubrificant penetrate between the gasket and the housing. Wait 5 min and try again

Don't forget to wash off the wd-40 when done. Nasty chemical
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I've tried them all, but still no luck. I just bought the car last week and this is my first project. I noticed a tiny bit of paint on the lens and am wondering if it was hit and the positioning tracks are crooked. (Carfax didn't indicate any accidents) I'm going to jack it up, pull off the wheel and see if i can get to it through the wheel well.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #9

For those having difficulty removing the headlight assembly, it is possible to access the bulbs through the wheel well. After removing the wheel and fender skirt, I was able to get at the door covering the bulb housing and replace the bulb without ever removing the assembly.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #10

I broke the piece of amber too but still holds to the clip, just use extra force sliding it out while pulling from the top end of the assembly. The tool for unlocking the headlamp is with the tire kit (black pouch).
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #11

Pelican sells those amber corner lenses for $63.75 each. I have a pair that were brand new last year and are in excellent condition - $60 plus shipping for both. Not willing to sell just one.

PM me if you're interested.