Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Garage
Power seats not working in 99

I have a 99 Boxster. Neither power seat is working, no motor noise, nothing. Starting with the passenger seat I found a plug not connected with 2 wires brown wires. I am trying to get to the seat motor to see if there is a plug to connect to these 2 wires. any ideas how to get to the seat motor in the seat back? I think if I get the seat back off I can get to it but don't want to break anything.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

Aren't the 2 unused wires under the passenger seat for the child seat/airbag deactivation bar?
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Aren't the 2 unused wires under the passenger seat for the child seat/airbag deactivation bar?
That is Correct.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #4

Garage
Not fuses either. Any advice?
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

It seems unlikely that both motors would stop working at the same time. So, I expect either a power or ground issue. You can find information on removing the seats and disconnecting the wire harness here: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

Did something happen that might have caused an electrical problem such as water entering the cabin?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

Garage
Yes Kevin, I think there was some water intrusion. the seats havent worked since I bought it almost a year ago. Just installed the brake booster seal upgrade. One of the drains near battery was clogged.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #7

If you had water in the car, it is possible it could have corroded the grounds for the seat motors. The seats ground to ground points that are in the floor plan. They are probably at the lowest point in the car, so water would collect there. Here's a picture with the seat removed:

The ground is a bolt near the rear of the carpet opening and to the left of the large connector. If you go to my Photobucket page, you can copy and enlarge the photo and see the bolt more clearly. There is a similar arrangement under the driver's seat.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/KevinH1990/IMG_4549_zpsa2608f6f.jpg

Look for a brown wire with a ring connector on the end. I recommend that you unbolt the ground and clean it to make sure that you are getting a good connection. You probably don't need to unbolt the seat to access it. Just reach underneath. I think it is a 9mm nut.

If that doesn't work, I think the next most likely causes are either a problem with the motors or the power supply. If you remove the seats and connect a 12 volt power source to the connector under the seat (the power is red, the ground is brown), that would provide some information. If you have a friend with a Boxster, you might also try swapping seats temporarily to see if his seats work in your car. If they do, that tells you for sure that the problem is with your seat motors.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-15-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

Garage
Hi Kevin, thanks for the advice. I have the passenger seat out already. I will check out the ground and if that doesnt do it will apply power as you suggest. will let you know how I make out.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

Garage
checked the ground. it was corroded cleaned it and hooked up the seat and nothing. so then I hooked up juice to the wires and again nothing.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

That increases the likelihood that the problem is in the seat motors or switches.

Here's a thread with some more specific information on diagnosing the problem: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/17979-power-seat-not-functioning.html

You will need a digital multi-meter (DMM) to diagnose the problem. I picked one up for a few dollars at Harbor Freight. There are videos on YouTube that show how to use it if you aren't familiar with it. Also, look over the wiring carefully in the seat and make sure nothing is damaged.

When I first responded to your post, I didn't comprehend that you had bought the car with the seats not working. I didn't figure that out until post #6. The motors or switches could have failed at different times or been damaged by some event that the previous owner didn't report to you.

My knowledge of the seats is limited to what I gained from my experience swapping my seats for heated seats. So, I cannot help too much with the seat motors.

You might contact Sunset Porsche or Pelican Parts and see what they would charge for replacement motors or switches. But, try to figure out whether it is motors or switches (or both) before you spend the money.

Another option is to just swap in some other seats. This is a particularly good option if your seats look a little tired. There is a board member selling some heated seats from his car in this ad: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/50113-parting-out-2001-2-7l-boxster-speed-yellow.html I think he's asking something like $400 for the seats, but shipping will add another $150-200.

Good luck

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

I have some spare motors if you need them. PM me.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #12

Garage
Problem is either with switch or motor. will check out this weekend. Does anyone know how to take apart the seats to get to the motor and switch wiring? I would consider just replacing the seats by I have the boxster red interior and the interior/seats are in great shape and would not consider replacing them.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #13

Boxster Seat Disassembly Procedure Part 1 of 2
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #14

Seat teardown isn't hard. I've done it and if I can do it, it's not too difficult for anyone.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #15

Garage
Ok Kevin and Randall I'm going in. the car's wiring is good. I really think its the switches. I have a spare motor that I think will fit but when I look at the switch its rust and corroded not much but not good for electrical connections. I have a couple of seat switches but they must be out of another type of car cause the connections are different. got to try to find a reasonably priced switch for my 99. will keep you posted.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #16

Post a picture of the parts that you need. I just might have them and be able to send them to you for very little in return
Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #17

Garage
right now I don't think I need any parts I have switches and motors problem I am having is figuring how to get the seat back apart to get to the motor to replace it. Can either one of you help me with this?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #18

Garage
I was able to hook up the switch I bought. not trying to figure out how to get to the motor in the seat.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #19

You have to pull off the seat back trim and then some to get to it...
Old 01-21-2014, 02:52 AM   #20

Garage
found a youtube video showing how to redo seats on an 07. Came home and was able to get to the motor. the motor is definitely shot.