Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
Installed Short Shift Kit - Now I'm Stuck!

I just put in the short shift kit. However, the marks on the cables were not "around" the cable - so basically I have no marks….HELP!

Can some please explain to me how to dial my transmission in again. I think I got the forward gears to work O.K., little grinding in reverse. How is the adjustment made? What is the margin of error on the little 'grooved plastic thing'? Is there a starting point you can work from to make sure the shifting is correct?

P.S. Had to take it out for a spin…love the "Precision shifting" - should come from factory like this (except for the reverse dealio). Could get it into reverse by moving the grooved thingy one the reverse cable about halfway (instead of all the way in - like the forward gear cable).

Hope this is making sense…you guys would have seen this before. Can someone please describe the procedure, I already know the Pelican and B & M methods. Anyone have a sliver of advice not mentioned in the instructions?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #2

While installing the SSK, the installer is supposed to put marks on the cables before removing from existing shifter... w/ tape/pen/etc.

Anyhow, if it's an OEM SSK, just borrow the little green alignment tool clip from someone... possibly will work on a B&M / knock-offs too but not sure.

Putting SSKs in both 9x6 and 9x7 series, my experience has been the cables are typically in the threaded ends approximately same length and allow for plenty of adjustment fore and aft on each cable.

If you can be 100% sure the gearbox is in neutral, you can disconnect the cables again mark them first this time Then do your best to center the shifter into the middle where it should rest in neutral. Temporarily fix the shifter into that position (clamps/tape/rope?). Next reinsert cables into the ends in their natural relaxed (aka still neutral in the gearbox) position. Use minor adjustments (i.e one to two threads at a time) to fine tune. Start w/ 3rd & 4th gear since it's closest to neutral... Once those both engage cleanly, most remaining adjustments will be done w/ the left cable unless you hit the end of throws in either direction.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi Burg Boxster,

First, I WAS the installer. Should fire myself, cannot afford a REAL mechanic. Besides, it's therapy!:-)

Good advice about tuning the SSK though. That "neutral advice was 100%" should go into the instructions for Pelican or a "sticky" here. You got me "uns-stuck".

Must happen all the time. With a margin for error being just a couple threads or so, even though you ARE MARKING IT, the thing could still be off. And it doesn't take much to be non-working or not working well!

Shifts like a real sports car should now! Yummy!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

It's very easy. Make sure the transmission is in neutral, put the shifter straight up and attach the cables to the buckles. Then try it out. If you're hitting the sides of the support, adjust the appropriate cable position in the buckle accordingly. Just don't reinstall the console until you've driven the car around for a while to make sure all the shifts are clear.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote