Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Kaili <3

Garage
Why is the Tip Slower 0-60

I keep seeing figures for my 03 S at around 6 seconds. It feels faster than my V6 Camaro which was at 6. I imagine even with the Tip I should be sub 6.

So why exactly is the Tip slower than a manual trans? I know I like to automatic a lot more because I'm not missing shifts anymore and it's a lot smoother.

PS: Searched, but I can't seem to find any magic sequence of words to get the info I want. I read that it has to do with not using the manual mode.

shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 View Post
I keep seeing figures for my 03 S at around 6 seconds. It feels faster than my V6 Camaro which was at 6. I imagine even with the Tip I should be sub 6.

So why exactly is the Tip slower than a manual trans? I know I like to automatic a lot more because I'm not missing shifts anymore and it's a lot smoother.

PS: Searched, but I can't seem to find any magic sequence of words to get the info I want. I read that it has to do with not using the manual mode.
Tip is not as efficent at transfering the power from the engine to the driveline, so it saps about 5% more torque than a manual trans. Tip is also heavier than a manual by about 80lbs. Tip starts from stop in 2nd gear unless you downshift with the steering wheel mounted button to 1st.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Tip starts from stop in 2nd gear unless you downshift with the steering wheel mounted button to 1st.
not quite true. it'll downshift to 1st from a standstill if it needs to even when automatic mode and without using the buttons.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
not quite true. it'll downshift to 1st from a standstill if it needs to even when automatic mode and without using the buttons.
I think you mean it will automatically downshift to 1st if you apply enough throttle but that dosen't change the fact you started out in 2nd. That's how it worked up until 2002 anyway.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote