986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear storage compartment speakers (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35771-rear-storage-compartment-speakers.html)

binkoba 06-05-2012 11:49 AM

Rear storage compartment speakers

Hi

I have had it with this horrible sound system.

Does anybody know the exact make and or model of the best replacement speakers for the car, I mostly need the rears for now as one makes a horrible noise. I would like to order some and have them before pulling the car apart.

I also need dash ones,

And while I am asking does anybody know the best way to upgrade the head unit because of the stupid optical amp under the hood, I guess all the speakers are routed from there.

Thanks

Ashley.

bar10dah 06-05-2012 03:08 PM

1) The "best" is very suggestive. Might as well have asked what the best beer is, or pizza, or religion, or *gasp* motor oil... ;)

2) There are several great threads on this forum with details of folks doing exactly what you're thinking of. From mild to wild. Pretty much everything you need from part numbers to wire break outs. Seriously, this forum rocks! Lots of great information stored here on the threads.

3) Crutchfield.com does a pretty good job with prices (not always the cheapest, but most of the time they are) and does a pretty good job with it's "fitment" section.

4) The consensus is stay away from big box retailers (like, BestBuy) since they may not be the most skilled technician working on your car. Don't get me wrong! Some locations have top notch installers. But, you take your chances when you use their installation shop.

5) DIY is the way to go.

thstone 06-05-2012 03:42 PM

I would suggest that you pull the rear storage compartment from the car (be sure to disconnect the speaker cable connector) and verify what speakers you will need for the upgrade. I have seen several different configurations of number and size of speakers fitted to the rear storage compartment depending on whether it was an early factory install, later dealer install, or an aftermarket part (the rear compartment and the speakers were sold for quite awhile as a factory kit and then later as DIY kits on eBay).

The dash speakers are 4" three-way speakers. They can be replaced with any model of equivlaent speaker (whatever you want to $pend). I posted a good DIY for replacing the dash speakers in the DIY section of the forum.

I believe that the head unit and the amp have to be replaced as a pair because of the optical interface but someone else can verify that statement.

rick3000 06-06-2012 04:09 PM

There are a ton of threads on this and lots of custom setups to look at. The rear speakers are standard 3.5" but watch the height. I have also seen people add tweeters to the rear next to the 3.5" speakers.

The fronts will require a custom mount as the only aftermarkets ever made that fit are no longer manufactured. The fronts are 4" plus a tweeter and the doors can go up to 6.5" with a custom baffle. The only interchangeable amp is the 996 6 channel amp, if you want more than that it will be custom.

The 'best' depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend. You can DIY the rears and fronts pretty easily, the door speakers are a bigger project, and an amp with require some technical knowledge. Good luck!