Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Garage
Post Clutch Kit Question for all the DIYers

I have read many forum members have changed their clutches with Sachs kits on this forum. However, all of these members have only documented changes on the 3.2l s model. I am looking to change my clutch on a 2000 2.7l boxster.

Even after searching on the forums and google I couldn't come up with a conclusive answer. But from my research it seems the 2.5l 5 speed clutch is compatible with the 2.7l. Is that true?

EDIT: Changed the clutch months ago. 2.5/2.7L clutches are all interchangeable, regardless of model year boxster.

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 08-02-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
Anyone have an answer?

Kenny B. is driving "another vehicle" until he gets this sorted. Mine too is down….self-inflicted painting issue - painting center console and doing short shifter! ;-)

Hope you get it fixed soon!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #3

Why don't you buy from a reputable supplier, that can actually answer your questions, instead of looking for a deal on ebay?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Why don't you buy from a reputable supplier, that can actually answer your questions, instead of looking for a deal on ebay?
Mind you, I posted to see if anyone on the forum has had experience with 2.7l clutch kits. A huge portion of the forum partake in DIY projects.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

Understood, I do my own work also. But if your car is "laid up" waiting for a clutch, I would make sure to get the correct parts. You don't want to do the job twice, or get 1/2 way through and find out something doesn't fit.

Last edited by stephen wilson; 06-03-2012 at 02:16 PM.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Understood, I do my own work also. But if your car is "laid up" waiting for a clutch, I would make sure to get the correct parts to avoid doing it twice, or getting 1/2 way in when you find something doesn't fit.
I appreciate your concern. The car is still sitting in the garage untouched as I deliberate whether to take it to a shop or start removing the tranny to diy. For sake of simplicity I think I shall take it to a shop and knock out the IMS replacement as well. It's not very fun spending money on the car, but it's not very fun not driving. C'est la vie.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Understood, I do my own work also. But if your car is "laid up" waiting for a clutch kit materials, I would make sure to get the correct parts. You don't want to do the job twice, or get 1/2 way through and find out something doesn't fit.
I do agree with Stephen. And I also understand your concern Kenny if such part is compatible with your car but I guess to shorten your time dealing with it, why don't you go ahead and look for the correct part. It will save you time and money. Just saying.

Last edited by kotto; 03-21-2013 at 10:47 PM.
kotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #8

Garage
as a side question, what are you looking to achieve by interchanging the clutch from different versions ?

if it's purely a 'cost' issue then you have to figure if it doesnt work out, the few dollars you save could end up more expensive by having to rebuy the correct item
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #9

Garage
I'm going to add my 2 cents here since I haven’t notice it mentioned much. I just purchased the LUK Clutch kit after much research and it includes the Sachs pressure plate, Sachs clutch plate, INA throw out bearing, Pilot shaft bearing, spline shaft grease and pilot install spline tool. All new parts no remans. Part numbers match the factory parts removed without the 996.xxx.xxx.xx pcar numbering on the new parts.

$330 + free shipping search the web from reputable large parts house with no issues for return if you think that would be an issue there are a lot of options to buy the parts from an online store and avoid the flee bay concerns.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #10

Garage
Good grief this thread was revived from the dead! I replaced my clutch myself months ago. From what I found all 2.7/2.5 kits are compatible and interchangeable regardless of boxster year. I noted though that the newer kits have less friction material but wider girth.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
I noted though that the newer kits have less friction material but wider girth.
my wife may beg to differ on that.

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Good grief this thread was revived from the dead! I replaced my clutch myself months ago. From what I found all 2.7/2.5 kits are compatible and interchangeable regardless of boxster year. I noted though that the newer kits have less friction material but wider girth.
Kenny,

Great job on installing the clutch by yourself. I was glad to meet you a month ago after you completed the replacement and compare notes on future repair questions. You are a good resource.

From our conversation you may remember, I love the feel of that new clutch too. It was more "responsive" than my standard clutch. Did you ever figure out why it was "looser-feeling" than the Porsche "my foot is aching" clutch? Love the feel of that clutch pedal whatever you did. Have you determined what "adjustment" to make?

So, for those of you that have done a clutch maybe you can help too. Did you notice an easier pull to the clutch after replacement? Do you know of an adjustment to make to allow for less tension on the pedal itself. Kenny's clutch is like an "easy pull" clutch I had on a dirt bike. It used a "cam" to make the pull easier….is there anything like that for our Boxsters? Sorry to hi-jack thread Kenny, hope you don't mind!

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #13

Garage
I honestly feel if it is not from bleeding the slave cylinder, then it must be the new clutch disc. It is thinner but wider; maybe that is why the pedal grabs differently. That is my $.02.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #14

Garage
I just finished mine up and no adjustments were made since there aren't any adjustable parts and with the new one in and fresh grease on the pivoting areas it was so light I kept feeling like I was going put my foot through the floor from being used to how stiff it was before replacement. I did not bleed the system just removed the slave as a whole while I dropped the gearbox.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

Good job on replacing that clutch Kenny. Need more info.. PM sent.

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote