Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #1

O2 sensors - getting them back on??

I feel like an idiot having to ask this---it should be simple, but...anybody out there have any advice or handy trick for reattaching the O2 sensors? Have no problem getting them off, but getting them to click back into place is (for me) a real PITA. I've tried both ways: just pushing it up there and pushing it while depressing the little thumb release lever---neither seems to result in it clicking back in place. Ideas?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #2

Hi Doug - yes they are a a bit of pita to reconnect...
I'm assuming you are talking about the O2 sensor electrical connection on the mid pipes. We don't have O2 sensors on the headers in Oz, so I can't comment on those.
But on the mid pipes there is a red coloured retaining clip which needs to be pulled right back before the male electrical plug will sit in the female section. If this clip is only slightly protruding in the plug entrance, you will not be able to push the male section in.
Ask me how I know.....
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

I was working on the driver side one (cylinder bank 2) when I posted my question. I finally pushed it on using brute force (or at least as much brute force as can be applied through 2 or 3 fingers!). The weird thing is that, on that side, it never "clicked" when it went into place. I'm pretty sure it's set: I pulled and pulled and it did not come back out.

The other side was easy: I pushed with moderate force and it emitted an audible "click".

Thanks Steve.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote