986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   IMS Guardian Jr: Discuss (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35674-ims-guardian-jr-discuss.html)

2003S 05-30-2012 09:20 AM

IMS Guardian Jr: Discuss

I saw a brief mention of IMS Guardian Jr. on Rennlist; Anyone know what it is / how it differs from the "Sr." version? No info on the Flat 6 site...

kbiggar 05-30-2012 10:16 AM

I picked up the following:

"The Jr. Units were originally developed only for the 05 and later cars that do not use the same dash switches as the earlier cars, BUT the units have now been made to be universal for all years and models after a ton of requests for a cheaper solution for the early cars.

Because the Jr. Doesn't use a Porsche switch the dash interface is dramatically different and the "push to test" feature is lost, but so is the bigger price tag that comes with a more sophisticated system and a Porsche switch. The Jr. uses a lighted warning buzzer mounted in a different location than the standard Guardian. It does not look OEM and doesn't seamlessly integrate into the dash, but it still warns of IMS bearing failure."

Hope that info helps. To my understanding, it looks like these units will be release in the next month or so.

Kyle

2003S 05-30-2012 11:23 AM

Well how 'bout that! I imagine I'd prefer the Sr., but it's always nice to have options, huh?

I've been considering putting one in with my next oil change, looks like there's an "out of stock" situation on them, though...

jim_hoyland 05-30-2012 12:32 PM

Who's selling these ? Do you lave a link ?

Perfectlap 05-30-2012 12:40 PM

I'd love to see a subforum where only those who bought this would be allowed to post but lurkers could see when a unit warned of a imminent failure that was averted.

2003S 05-30-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim_hoyland (Post 292106)

Mr. Raby was mentioning it on a couple of forums, presumably it will be sold through the same channels -- Flat 6 Innovations; Pelican & LN, but there's no pages up on it yet.

kbiggar 05-30-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim_hoyland (Post 292106)

Hope this helps

Link for the IMS Guardian Sr. from PelicanParts:
Porsche Boxster Miscellaneous - Page 3

The IMS Guardian Jr. seem like they will be available in the next month. You can sign up for notification when they are available here:
Raby Engine Development : Mailing List Signup

Kyle

Jake Raby 05-31-2012 08:34 AM

The details of the Jr. unit have not been released yet. I will be doing this through our newsletter in the next few days.

I am holding the details and etc so we do not have a huge rush of people wanting to buy them before we have enough in stock to avoid backorders. That happened with the Sr. unit and took us 6 months to overcome it.

Here are a couple of details:

-The Jr. unit does not offer the "press to test" feature
-The Jr. does not have a seamless integration into the dash, nor does it use a factory Porsche switch
- The Jr. is designed for 05 and later model Boxster/ 996/997 and Cayman models
-After a ton of requests from those who wanted the Jr. for their earlier vehicle we will include instructions for integrating the Jr. unit into a 97-04 vehicle-The Jr. is even simpler to install than the standard IMSG as it has less components.

The Jr. is roughly 1/2 price of the standard IMSG but still warns of engine failure using the same MCD technology.

All other details will be released in my newsletter. The newsletter will be released even before the Jr. units go on sale at my store.

Pelican has not committed to distribution of the Jr. units as of yet :-)

FYI- We are out of stock on the Sr. units until July (again) but Pelican has a few left in stock.

2003S 05-31-2012 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated! I think I'll snap up one of those Pelican units, then...

temporarychicken 07-30-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 292219)
The details of the Jr. unit have not been released yet. I will be doing this through our newsletter in the next few days.

I am holding the details and etc so we do not have a huge rush of people wanting to buy them before we have enough in stock to avoid backorders. That happened with the Sr. unit and took us 6 months to overcome it.

Here are a couple of details:

-The Jr. unit does not offer the "press to test" feature
-The Jr. does not have a seamless integration into the dash, nor does it use a factory Porsche switch
- The Jr. is designed for 05 and later model Boxster/ 996/997 and Cayman models
-After a ton of requests from those who wanted the Jr. for their earlier vehicle we will include instructions for integrating the Jr. unit into a 97-04 vehicle-The Jr. is even simpler to install than the standard IMSG as it has less components.

The Jr. is roughly 1/2 price of the standard IMSG but still warns of engine failure using the same MCD technology.

All other details will be released in my newsletter. The newsletter will be released even before the Jr. units go on sale at my store.

Pelican has not committed to distribution of the Jr. units as of yet :-)

FYI- We are out of stock on the Sr. units until July (again) but Pelican has a few left in stock.

Hi Jake,

I am based in the UK. I want to get the Jr. asap!
Will I be able to order one yet from Wrightune, or should I go with one of the US-based distributors in the first instance to save time?

BR

David Luke