Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boone
I have an appointment with a local dealer for next Wednesday to have my oxidizing windscreen trim replaced under factory warrantee. I will ask them to provide me with a copy of the CPO warrantee details as well. I will post the results.
When I asked my dealer to provide me with the CPO warrantee he printed out the Porsche N.A. Database screen using my VIN number as a reference - which included the 1. original delivery date 2. an entee indicating that the CPO had been issued 3. the MSRP and 4. effective dates of the original and CPO warrantee. He told me that the CPO warrantee was an extention of the orginal warrantee and the coverage remained the same throught the limit of 6 yrs/100,000 miles. There wasn't a copy of the CPO available - I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:21 AM   #22

"He told me that the CPO warrantee was an extention of the orginal warrantee and the coverage remained the same throught the limit of 6 yrs/100,000 miles"

It would be interesing to ask this same dealer to put that in writing on Dealership Stationary. It would also be interesting to write to Porsche NA and get them to put that in writing.

Then, with the warranty booklet that came with the car, you would actually have this down in black and white.

PS-I have not heard the same story from my service dept at the local dealership.

I will ask again on Monday.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
When I asked my dealer to provide me with the CPO warrantee he printed out the Porsche N.A. Database screen using my VIN number as a reference - which included the 1. original delivery date 2. an entee indicating that the CPO had been issued 3. the MSRP and 4. effective dates of the original and CPO warrantee. He told me that the CPO warrantee was an extention of the orginal warrantee and the coverage remained the same throught the limit of 6 yrs/100,000 miles. There wasn't a copy of the CPO available - I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

Interesting your dealer would say it provided the same coverage as the Factory warrantee, as my dealer said it WOULD NOT provide the same coverage when I asked him this point blank. Again he could not tell me what items were going to drop off of the coverage. - Again I will ask dealer #2 on Wednesday for the written coverage and see what happens.
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #24

CPO warranty coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onad
Does anyone on the board have a copy of what the "limited certified warranty" covers (or doesn't cover)? My 03 is certified, but I never recieved any information (even after requesting it) regarding what will change when the regular warranty ends and the certified kicks in.
When you purchased your CPO Boxster the salesman should have given to you the completed "Record of Certification" and a brochure entitled "Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles" (MKT 001 00009 04). The brochure explaines the CPO program and mentions the approved limited warranty. Later, you should have received the "Welcome Kit" from PCNA. In this kit is the "Porsche Approved Limited Warranty" (PNA 000 196 ed. 1/04) which details the warranty coverage. Work with your dealer if you do not have these documents.

It pays to thoroughly inspect the car prior to purchase. My 2001 Boxster had a repaired windshield and came with a set of new Federal tires of the correct size. Not having heard of Federal tires I asked to see the 100+ point inspection sheet. The dealer was not able to provide to me the actual inspection sheet. I was able to look at a blank inspection sheet at a different dealer. It clearly states that a Porsche must have Porsche approved tires to be certified, amongst other points. Federal tires are not Porsche approved. I brought this to the dealer's attention and they promptly installed a set of new Conti CSC2s and replaced the windshield. They did not have to replace the windshield under the terms of the limited warranty. The dealer also R&R'd the dash under warranty to fix a creaking noise. Many thanks to Porsche of Oakland for stepping up to the mark!

I hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #25

I am going to take with up with the service manager of my local dealer, who is a straight up guy and very experienced.

Let me see what a non-salesman says.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #26

According to my local service manager:

The CPO warranty is NOT identical to the new car warranty but it is close. He has a CPO specific written list of items that is covered by the CPO that differs from the same list for the new car warranty.

He also indicated that he thought sales had a written summary of the warranty but he had not seen it directly.

The Extended warranty that is sold when a Porsche is new is NOT underwritten by Porsche and therefore varies by the warranty company in terms of coverages.

Interesting!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #27

Talking Porsche comes through!!

I received my Certified Pre-owned Warrantee from Porsche North America in the mail today packaged in a "box". The warrantee is 6yrs/100,000K bumper to bumper excluding wear items - identical to the new car warrantee!! With it comes the Road Side Assistance as a companion to the warrantee, the obligatory book of dealers, and the gift catalogue. Needless to say - I'm releived and very satisfied.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
I received my Certified Pre-owned Warrantee from Porsche North America in the mail today packaged in a "box". The warrantee is 6yrs/100,000K bumper to bumper excluding wear items - identical to the new car warrantee!! With it comes the Road Side Assistance as a companion to the warrantee, the obligatory book of dealers, and the gift catalogue. Needless to say - I'm releived and very satisfied.

I am glad that you received something in writing, which makes you in the minority.

When you say that it is identical to the new car warranty, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Does it say that in your warranty package or did you do a side by side comparison of the language.

I ask this because the local service manager would disagree with you on this point.

Interesting.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I am glad that you received something in writing, which makes you in the minority.

When you say that it is identical to the new car warranty, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Does it say that in your warranty package or did you do a side by side comparison of the language.

I ask this because the local service manager would disagree with you on this point.

Interesting.

Very comprehensive warranty - but I didn't do a side by side comparison. Only exclusions appear to be wear items eg. tires, brakes, glass, etc. Are you looking for any particular differences? I'd be happy to do a comparison.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #30

I think we have had so many questions that the side by side would be a great service to folks!

I think we would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks